Boys' basketball hosts tournament

Five seconds on the clock, down by one, a player steals the ball with a fast break down the court and makes the lay up, scoring the win. The home crowd erupts as the team celebrates on the floor.

The varsity boys’ basketball team will be hosting its own Fresno Christian Holiday Championships on Dec. 28-30. The purpose of the tournament is to strengthen the team before league games start.

“This is a great opportunity for our boys to be at home and show their friends and family how hard they have been working,” Mike Neal, boys’ varsity basketball coach, said. “This year’s tournament showcases four teams from our league, which will give us a good look at what’s in store for this season.”

Though many students on campus are excited for the tournament, those outside of campus have little reason to attend the event.

“Other schools would have no reason to come and see our school sports,” Principal Gary Schultz said. “The main reason they would come would be to scout possible opponents.”

One of the team’s captains, Ross Charest, ’05, believes that the tournament will be a good experience.

“The tournament will be good for our team,” Charest, said. “We have all returning players and are supposed to do well. The tournament can only make us better.”

Hosting a hometown tournament during winter break has its advantages.

“I am really glad that the tournament is on campus,” Seth Lane, ’06, said. “I think by the time the tournament comes we will have played enough games to do well.”

For more information about the boys’ basketball team, please contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5. The first home league game will be on Jan. 11.