Christmas Tree Lane inspires festivity

Angelic voices echo in the distance as carolers sing their tunes to the many bundled onlookers walking about the crowded streets.

The sweet aroma of hot chocolate, fresh coffee and numerous varieties of mouthwatering desserts fill the cold wintry night air.

With every street and corner ablaze with lights of all colors, hanging from trees and houses, onlookers cuddle amongst their loved ones as they stroll through the barrage of Christmas festivities.

Well-known Christmas songs, heard from speakers hidden among branches of towering evergreens, give the ambiance of complete joy and happiness inspired by past Christmas memories.

Once a year, Lorin Weskamp, ?08, finds herself walking the street’s length with her family and friends, enjoying the Christmas cheer brought to the hearts of Fresnans by the decorations.

“My favorite part of Christmas Tree Lane is the way it brings forth the season and pulls family together through its bright, colorful, lights and intricate designs placed in front of each house,” Weskamp explained as she walked along the lane.

Though walking the lane gives an opportunity to take time and talk to someone special or just to gawk at the inspiring site, some, on the other hand, prefer to see the lights from their car rather than on foot.

“Walking the lane, though fun, is too cold at night and it is easier to enjoy when sitting comfortably in a car with a warm coffee at hand,” Claire Kister, ’08, said.

For most, Christmas Tree Lane means more than just a time to enjoy the festivity of lighted houses or the grandeur of gleeful displays. It represents the start of a new season, ushering in the New Year and the birth of Christ that brings common people together to celebrate the most widely celebrated holiday of the year.