Girls' basketball sports shorts, 2004-05

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL- last game
SEASON END

The Lady Eagles were defeated, 44-50, by Bakersfield Christian on Feb. 24 in the first round of the Cenral Section Division V playoffs to end their season. Kassy Batesole pulled out a half court overhand shot with seconds left before the end of the second quarter but it was not enough to rally the Eagles.

The girls’ overall record is 10-14 and are now 8-6 in the W.S.L. and finished in fourth place as of Feb. 25.

Caruthers outscored FC in the first three quarters and spoiled senior night as the Blue Raiders defeated the Eagles, 63-38, on Feb. 18 in the last home game of the year.

Caruthers led, 13-7, at the end of the first quarter and 36-14 at half and cruised to its 10th W.S.L. win of the year. Senior Katie Ettner led the Eagles with 9 points and junior Kassey Batesole added 7 in the loss.

FC defeated the Liberty Hawks of the Madera Ranchos, 44-37, with junior Kassy Batesole’s 25 points and senior Katie Ettner’s 11. Leading, 20-17, at the half, the Lady Eagles were able to pull of another 24 points by the end of the fourth resulting in an overall record of 8-5 in the WSL.

The girls fell behind 18-11 at the end of the first quarter and, despite matching Riverdale’s 12 points in the second, could not stop the Cowgirls from defeating them, 63-37, on Feb. 11.

FC was outscored 21-6 in the third and 12-9 in the fourth as Riverdale won going away. Hillary Kell, Katie Ettner, Bonnie Hansen and Kassey Batesole each had 8 points for the Eagles.

The Lady Eagles defeated the Tranquillity Tigers, 54-49, on Feb. 8, in their 11th W.S.L. match up of the season. Leading scorer, Katie Ettner, had a game-high of 17 points to lead the Eagles into the No. 5 slot in D-V.

The Lady Eagles routed Fowler, 51-28, on Feb. 4. Hillary Kell walked away with 21 points leading the Eagles into fifth place in D-V.

The Lady Eagles revived from their two game loosing streak with a win of 47-44 against Firebaugh. Katie Ettner left as the leading scorer for the Eagles with 19 points and Hillary Kell added another 13 to the score. Down by four at the half the ladies regained and added another 27 to their final score.

While the Lady Eagles began with a six-point deficit in the first quarter, by halftime they managed to tie the score at 16. In the second half, the ladies were only able to score 13 points. According to the team, the squad played the game with all five starters with the flu or other illness.

The Lady Eagles fell behind, 15-6, in the first quarter and were outscored, 22-0, in the fourth in their plight against Caruthers, 57-36, on Jan. 25.

While FC closed the gap to 25-18 at the half, and tied the game at 36 at the end of the third, the Blue Raiders dominated the fourth. Katie Ettner led the team with 14 points and Hillary Kell added 12 for the Eagles.

The Lady Eagles defeated Liberty-Madera, 50-47, on Jan. 20.

After being down by 3 points at the end of the first quarter, the girls reversed the score and took the lead, 18-11, at half time. Even though Liberty outscored the Eagles, 8-10, in the third, FC regained the lead in the fourth, 18-17, and won the game.

Kassy Batesole lead the team with 16 points, Brittnee Masiello added 13 and Katie Ettner made 11.

Unable to score double diget scores in any of the game quarters, FC lost to Riverdale, 71-28, on Jan. 18. Katie Ettner gave FC 9 points as the top scorer in the game.

The Lady Eagles dominated the court and defeated Tranquility, 55-50, on Jan. 13.

FC defeated Fowler, 32-25, in the Lady Eagles second home game of the season on Jan. 11.

Both teams finished the first period tied at 8 then FC snatched the lead at half-time, 6-4. The Eagles continued with the lead through the next half, 11-9 and 7-4.

Kassy Batsole made 12 points for the Lady Eagles, Hillary Kell added 5 points and Katie Ettner made 5.

In a game only decided in the final minutes, Firebaugh came from behind and defeated FC, 45-37, on Jan. 7. While FC’s Hillary Kell was pressed the entire game by Firebaugh’s defense, she still led the Eagles with 14 points including a 3-pointer and 7/12 at the free throw line.

FC matched Firebaugh’s defense but the nail-biter got away from them in the final minutes. Katie Ettner scored 11 points while Kassy Batesole added 9. FC will have an opportunity to avenge this loss when they host Firebaugh on Feb. 1.

After a two-week Christmas break, the girls’ basketball team won its opening W.S.L. match by defeating Mendota, 43-38, on Jan. 4.

With the game on the line in the last two-minutes, Hillary Kell stole the game. Kell hit a 3-point shot and made two free throws to lead the Eagles and finished with 13 points. Katie Ettner added 14 and Kassy Batesole scored 8 to pace FC to its second straight win.

CVC TOURNAMENT on Dec. 16-18

The team was awarded 7th place in the CVC Tournament on Dec. 18 after defeating Orosi, 66-44. The Lady Eagles out-scored their opponents, 17-11, in the first quarter and outscored them in the second, 20-8.

After the Cardinals turned tables in the third outscoring the Eagles, 13-9, FC came back and finished the game, scoring 21-12 in the fourth. Top scorers for the Eagles were Hillary Kell with 23 points, Brittnee Masiello with 19 and Kassey Batesole with 16.

In other games of the CVC Tournament, FC lost to Garces, 65-19, and Immanuel, 61-35, on Dec. 17.

After the girls’ bolted to a 15-4 first quarter lead, Parlier turned the tables and outscored FC, 17-7 in the opening game of the CVC Tournament on Dec. 17. The teams traded baskets in the second half and Parlier won, 45-43. Guard Hillary Kell lead the eagles with 22 points and Kassy Batesole added 14.

The girls’ lost to Immanuel, 23-59, on Dec. 15. Scores: 4-18, 6-13, 8-20, 5-8. Tara Albrechtson scored 6 points for the eagles, Hillary Kell scored 5 and Katie Ettner scored 4.

The Lady Eagles lost to CVC 21-48 on Dec. 14. Kassy Batesole made the most points for the team with 9 scores, Hillary Kell made 3 and Rose Walker, Tara Albrechtson, Brittnee Masiello and Katie Ettner followed up with 2 points each.

The girls defeated Laton, 42-31, on Dec. 7 for their first win of the year. Hillary Kell led the team with 16 points. The Eagles bolted to a 13-1 first quarter lead and led 26-11 at half. Their overall record is 1-3.

SANTA MARIA TOURNAMENT on Dec. 2-4.

Valley Christian Academy defeated FC, 68-43 in the opening game of the Santa Maria Tournament on Dec. 2. Hillary Kell had 18 points, Katie Ettner added 10 before she sprained her ankle in the 3rd quarter. The team was unable to recover.

FC 33