Combat summer laziness

Weeks that were a flurry of homework, tests and study slowly wind down. The collective mind of the campus turns from grades to the great outdoors. Even the simple act of sitting at a desk seems painful torture as dreams of road trips and beach visits beckon.

The long-awaited halcyon days of summer will soon be upon us. Students and teachers universally count the days until their vacation comes.

For freshmen, summer is a time to reflect back on their first year of high school, marveling that they made it through alive and thrilling to the idea that they are freshmen no longer. Filled with excitement over all that has been, they eagerly look towards what is to come as they step up to the sophomore level.

The current sophomores, now jaded with experience, will realize with a start that their high school days are half over. Where did all the time go?

The mantle of seniority will fall upon the juniors. Each will relish their newfound authority as they begin the grueling college application process.

And, for the seniors, summer closes a chapter in their lives. When fall comes, each will be scattered to a new place, creating a new life for themselves. All that is comforting and familiar will be gone. It is time to move on and enjoy one last summer of golden fun before the real world is thrust upon them.

When the first day of summer finally comes, everyone breathes a collective sigh of relief. The temptation to simply let the summer float by in a series of uneventful days is strong and present.

But, this urge must be combated.

The summer is an excellent time to devote to tasks that may be too time consuming for the school year. For example, taking drivers ed. during the school year is a nightmare of early Saturday mornings, but one week out of summerís many does not seem quite so daunting.

In the same way, why not take a summer school class or two in order to clear up your school schedule for the approaching year?

Take the time to read some classics, redecorate your room, scrapbook or play club sports.

Enjoy the months of freedom that summer offers, but donít let them go to waste. Days are better when something is accomplished in them.

Whatever summer may mean to you, enjoy.