A little bit of everything

Many students spend a majority of their high school career fitting themselves into a niche. Spending four years on this campus has given me the unique opportunity of not needing to fit into any.

From my freshman to my senior year, I dipped into just about anything a high school student can.

Four years were devoted to football and three to track, until I needed shoulder surgery this year. I tried a year each at basketball, soccer, drama, choir and, now, journalism.

Approximately 1.7 miles north of this campus lies the academic giant of Clovis West High School. There, surrounded by more than 3000 peers, students often have to specialize or devote themselves to one activity in order to participate.

Senior Robbie Smith chose specialize in football. He spent three years training for a starting position on the varsity squad. After only half a season playing as an offensive lineman, he dislocated his knee and lost the rest of his year.

On the other hand, in my four seasons on the football team, I missed only a total of five plays. This year I played offensive guard linebacker and punter. Getting the chance to fill so many positions is one of the perks of small school life.

There are many advantages to participating in so many areas, but there are also disadvantages. With so many possibilities, it is easy to become over-committed.

Yet, I have found that being over-committed is not always a bad thing.

When I hardly have time or energy for anything other than my commitments, it is pretty hard to get into too much trouble. It keeps me busy and feeling at least somewhat purposeful.

Unfortunately, after awhile people tend to get burnt out. I began to ask myself why I was involved in so much more than required.

A high school resume is enhanced by a diversity of activity, but there is a negative aspect to this need for variety. Some view the change from activity to activity as a reflection of indecisiveness or an inability to settle down and focus.

Whatever the case, it is clear there are advantages and disadvantages to attending a small school.

While this campus may not extend the same variety of classes and activities that many larger schools do, those that are offered are open to anyone willing to commit the time and energy.