Protecting America

America- at the moment- is the greatest country on the face of the earth. However, if our generation does not take the proper steps, our days of glory might become only a memory, like so many other great nations of the past.

According to an NBC news article, “Army, Marines miss recruiting goals again,” [May 10, 2005], the Army recruiting department has missed its recruiting goals for the fourth consecutive month, and the Marines have missed their recruiting goals for the first time in over ten years. The Army missed its expected new recruits by nearly a 42% margin.

Currently, three students in the graduating class, including myself, are planning on joining the military, either through enlisting or by being commissioned through Reserve Officers Training Corps [ROTC] programs after college.

It appears that recruitment has been down since the war began. The ROTC recruiting officers I have talked to always asked me the same question: How do your parents feel about you joining the military?

I always told them that joining the army was my own decision and that my parents would support it. The reason the recruiting officers ask that question is that many parents today influence their children’s attitudes about joining the military. In fact, the armed forces are producing recruitment ads targeting the parents of future recruits who might be opposed to the recruits themselves.

Most European nations require their citizens to serve in the armed forces to support their nation. In this country, people have the option to serve; it is completely voluntary. On the other hand, in countries such as Switzerland, military service is mandatory for every citizen and is considered honorable.

I have asked people, Why don’t you want to serve your country? The answers vary: I don’t want to waste my time; I can’t handle the pressure; I don’t want to be stuck in the service for four years; I don’t agree with the reasons for war; I don’t want to die; joining is so stupid.

I want to serve my country in the military. I feel that as a first-generation American it is my duty and obligation to give something back to this great nation that I am a part of. I will serve those who cannot protect themselves, and I feel that God will protect me and keep me out of danger if it is in his plan.

The benefits of joining the military are huge. I am going to a private college, and the tuition will be completely paid for by the Army. I will not have to take out any loans, and I do not have to pay back a dime; in fact, through the ROTC, I will actually be making money while Iím in college.

After I graduate, I will be commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, hopefully in an Armor Division, and I will serve my country for several years by my own free will.

Because military service is just that: serving others. All Americans are served by our military, and each person reaps the benefits of citizenship. This is a debt they need not pay back and, indeed, cannot pay back. People can oppose the military and wars they fight while they are being protected by the same soldiers they criticize.

For me, one of the greatest things about becoming a soldier is their occupation. Soldiers protect the rights of this nation; they give reporters freedom of press, guard the freedom of religion, and grant antiwar protesters freedom of speech. It is the United States soldier who salutes the flag, protects the flag and, ultimately, whose body is draped by the flag.

Some who oppose the current war do so because of President Bush’s stance in favor of it. Other reasons for not supporting the war vary, as some believe that we are committing murder, sacrificing peace for oil, being hypocritical by killing people for their beliefs and for revenge. War brings death to innocent people, and war opposes the unification of the world through peace.

Many opponents of the war believe that the world should seek peace. However, the world is in a state of unrest, and the Rodney King philosophy of “Can”t we all just get along?” does not hold true when radical Islamic groups attack and kill innocent Americans.

Acting as peacemakers sometimes requires a nation of strength to go to war in order to ensure safety for themselves and for future generations. More Americans died in 9/11 than from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Was 9/11 really much different from Pearl Harbor?

History has shown that America is a liberator from oppression and tyranny; we do not occupy other countries as conquerors. We are the liberators of the world. Our military not only protects this nation, but also other nations that cannot protect themselves.

Without soldiers, marines, sailors or airmen, the United States would not be the free and safe country it is today. The military has kept their pledge to protect this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Remember that when the military is sent to battle it is not under a democratic vote. The soldier does not have the luxury to chose which wars he has to fight.

The American birthright is freedom to all people. I believe we will win the war on terror; good will prevail. However, only time will tell if my generation has courage equivalent to that of our noble forefathers who paid the ultimate price for freedom.

The question remains: Will my generation possess the same willingness to experience hardships to preserve freedom and justice?

If no one serves to protect this country, our days are numbered.