• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

Band traces roots to superintendent’s office

Students may look out the window and hear the pounding of the drums, the tooting of the woodwinds and the brass sound of the horns as the marching band practices their routines. However most do not see the band in competition. While some may wonder where this passion for music comes from, those in the band understand it starts on campus with Superintendent Tim Wilkins.

Wilkins attended Selma High School where he was the drum major. His love of music began when he was four-years old and played the piano.

“My parents recognized my musical ability at a very young age,” Wilkins said. “When I was four I would sit up at the piano and just play tunes.”

Wilkins started the music program on campus 25 years ago and is pleased with how it has grown.

“I watched their last performance on the TV (Selma Band Review on Oct. 27), and was extremely impressed with the musicality that came through crummy speakers,” Wilkins said.

The local cablevision company aired the Selma Band Review on Oct. 28 and showed the first place Eagle band favorably. The announcers mentioned Wilkins as a force behind the program. Additionally they mentioned the band program has recently changed directors. The band now has been under the direction of Paul McEntee for the past two years. McEntee is a 1993 graduate of Fresno Christian.

“He (McEntee) is an awesome visionary band director,” Wilkins said. “I get most excited that he is an alumni because it shows the deep roots our school has. I am very proud of his work.”

“”McEntee took over after Ray Johnson who led the band for 13 years and retired in 2000. Johnson was also McEntee’s band teacher during his high school days.””

“It is a big responsibility as well as an honor to be his successor,” McEntee said.

Students who have been in band all four years feel as if the program has improved.

“I have been in band as long as I can remember,” Amy Gentz, ’02, said. “And I think we have just gotten better over the years.”

McEntee works with the students on the fundamentals but does not alienate his students in the process.

“Mr. Mac spends at least 15 minutes every day tuning us–working on tone and technique–in order to improve our overall sound,” Phillip Ocheltree, ?04, said. “We get along with Mr. McEntee really well. He’s treats us like friends and not like subjects.”

The band received a first place in the Selma Band Review, a second in the Pismo Beach Band Review and a fourth place finish in the Santa Cruz Band Festival this year. Drum major David Pohl, ’03, also won numerous awards.

While the marching season is over, students still have one more chance to hear the band in action. The band will be participating in the high school Performing Arts Concert on March 21.