Freshman breaks track records

The phrase ?run as fast as the wind? has been thrown around a lot. But freshman Leah Fynaut appears to be taking it to heart. Fynaut has broken three school and 12 personal track and field records this season.

In her first season, Fynaut has broken three campus records: the 800m (2:36.9), 1600m or one-mile (5:44.9) and 3200m or two-mile (12:43.7).

?I owe God for my ability to compete in track,? Fynaut said. ?He blessed me with a strong endurance for running.?

Fynaut started running in sixth grade. She has found her inspiration through God and in life.

?I have always enjoyed running,? Fynaut said. ?Ever since I was young, running has been a part of me. As time progresses my love for running grows.?

Regardless of all the records she has contributed to this campus, Fynaut will not be returning to the campus next year.

?I am sad to be moving next year,? Fynaut said. ?Over the past year I have formed strong relationships with those in my class. I thought I could get to know them further, over the next few years; moving has made my think of all the opportunities I am missing at this school.?

Fynaunt plans to further her running career at Central Valley Christian [CVC].

?I am planning on running track at my new school,? Fynaut said. ?I hope to excel in all my events, but particularly in the two mile.?

Her near future is filled with track and field, but after high school Fynaut plans on going to Annapolis Navel Academy. Her interest in the navy sparked when her cousin provided books on military academies.

?I was considering the army, but then my cousin went to the navy and brought a bunch of books on the navy,? Fynaut said. ?Then I realized I like the water more than air and would rather been blown up by a torpedo in the water so at least I could swim to shore.?

Coaches and close friends will miss Fynaut as she takes on the next chapter of life.

?I am very sad to see Leah leave,? Ericlee Gilmore, track coach, said. ?I was looking forward to working with her for the rest of her high school career.?

For more information regarding track contact Gilmore 299-1695, ext.140 or contact him at [email protected].