Band concert celebrates accomplishments

A passerby glances through the window and sees 29 students lying motionless on the floor. Their first thought? ?Carbon monoxide poisoning!?

However, it is just the band, who has spent the last eight minutes waiting for the motion sensitive lights to turn off. This ritual marks the end of a season and is a send off for the graduating seniors.

Today is a day full of endings as the concert band faces its final performance at Riverpark Bible Church at 7 P.M. The campus band program will display the talent of all the musical students, from elementary through high school.

Seniors look back on the years with fond memories as they retire and hand their positions over to the younger players.

?Band has made me grow as a person,? Alysa Muzny, ?05, first chair clarinet, said. ?I hope those who come after us will appreciate Mr. [Paul] McEntee and gain as much from their band experience as I have.?

The band experience is different for everyone, but all share a sense of pride in their accomplishments.

?I hated marching season,? Young-Ju Cho, ?05, said. ?But, I stuck it out and enjoyed concert season and having fun with my friends.?

Band director Paul McEntee anticipates a fun-filled evening of musical performance and individual talent.

?I am eager to showcase our band?s abilities,? McEntee said. ?We have worked hard on pieces that are above our normal level of performance. I have pushed the band in the last month, and they have risen to the challenge.?

Despite the concert band?s current success, next year will be different, as they will lose five senior girls; the jazz band will lose its entire rhythm section.

?I?ve had most of these girls since they were in eighth grade,? McEntee said. ?Many are leaders and will be sorely missed.?

The concert choir will sing for their last time on May 18. For more information, see the feature Feather article, ?Choir prepares for final concert, next season,? by Elisha Quintana.

For more information about the band, contact McEntee at [email protected].