Baseball ends season in defeat

Even though a team may consist of a group of people, individual players are often not recognized. But is it not the individual players who make up the team itself?

Although seniors are typically the key players on a varsity team, sophomore Joey Logan plays catcher and contributes as a part of that team.

?Joey has done a great job behind the plate for us,? Jon Hall, baseball coach, said. ?He is gaining more experience as the season continues.?

Logan began playing baseball at the age of four, while playing T-Ball in the River park baseball league.

?Ever since I was little I have loved playing baseball,? Logan said. ?I believe it has affected my growing as a person.?

Sports are an important part of Logan?s life; he also plays golf and basketball. But he continues to play baseball for his love of the game.

?I like baseball because it is an individual and team sport.? Logan said. ?A batting average reflects us individually, while playing out in the field requires team cooperation.?

With the baseball season coming to an end, the team will lose the senior players who are graduating. One player who will graduate this year is senior Brandon Diaso.

?Brandon has emerged this year as a solid outfielder and even better,? Hall said. ?He is stepping up to help us in many ways.?

Diaso only plays one varsity sport because he believes in staying dedicated. Baseball is considered a priority in Diaso?s life, because it affects him in many aspects of life.

?Baseball teaches me self-control, since I often feel inclined to kill certain unnamed persons,? Diaso said. ?It also encourages team work in a Christian environment.?

Diaso began playing baseball at the age of seven; his family influences his continuing motivation in baseball.

?When I was younger, I constantly played catch with my dad,? Diaso said. ?My father and grandfather inspire me to reach higher expectations.?

Throughout the season, the baseball team has experienced many losses. However, a win against the undefeated Caruthers team proved the team to have a strong will.

?This season has been interesting,? Diaso said. ?The beginning of the season was a little discouraging considering our record. But the win against Caruthers has given our team new hope while entering the finals.?

The varsity team decided not to participate in the West Sierra League playoffs because of school policy which only permits playoff action if the team has a .500 record or above. The team ended their season 6-8 in league play. For more information regarding boys? varsity baseball, contact Hall at 299-1695, ext. 124 or e-mail him at [email protected].