Selective Service requires registration, draft unlikely

The life of a typical 18-year-old student usually includes yelling and screaming at football games, going to concerts on weekends and hanging out with friend’s all day long. This carefree life is subject to a drastic change as a result of the impending registration in the Selective Service.

All 18-26 year-old males that are U.S. citizens are required by law to register in the Selective Service unless they have some mental or physical disability. All male non-citizens that are living in the U.S. before their 26th birthday are also required to register, according to www.sss.gov. Registering in the Selective Service makes these males available for a draft and, with the conflict in Afghanistan, this may, for some, become a cause for concern.

“I’m slightly concerned about the draft,” Josh Justin, ’03, said. “It is always in the back of my mind, especially with the conflicts with the Taliban and the shape our country is in.”

Since there has not been a draft for 29 years and there are over one million active soldiers and reserves, some people are not as apprehensive about a possible conscription.

“In modern war one does not require large numbers of hastily trained troops,” Warren Gade, professor of history at California State University, Fresno, said. “Therefore, the chances of a draft being reinstated are virtually zero.”

Most students and faculty share Gade’s feelings.

“I’m not really worried about the draft,” Jevon Price, ’02, said. “I think we have enough soldiers already and when more men become of age, I think they will be in a hurry to enlist also.”

Draft concerns are nothing new to world history teacher Greg Page, who grew up during the Vietnam era.

“This is not like Vietnam,” Page said. “I don’t think there is going to be a draft but it is still important that boys register because, as Christians, we are to obey the law.”

While most students are not concerned about the possibility of a draft, most sign up with the Selective Service. If they do not they risk their eligibility when applying for government loans for college or federal jobs. Students can register online at: www.sss.gov.