Hitchhiker's Guide leaves viewers lost

For years movies makers have attempted to illustrate the mystery and elegance of the cosmos. However, all the old standards, from Star Wars to Lost in Space, fall short of the sheer beauty of that is displayed in The Hitchhiker?s Guide to the Galaxy.

In the movie, Arthur Dent (Martin Freeman), desperately attempts to keep his home from being bulldozed for a new highway. While Arthur worries about his small home, he fails to realize that within minutes, planet earth will be incinerated by a belligerent alien race, the Vogons, to make way for an intergalactic freeway.

The only person who knows of the impending doom is Arthur?s best friend, Ford Prefect, (Mos Def). Prefect reveals to Dent that he is actually an alien from a planet somewhere near ?Betlegeuse?. After barely escaping earth using Prefect?s alien methods, they hitch a ride on the nearby Vogon ship and the misadventure begins.

Thirty minutes into the film, the movie veers into many different directions. The various storylines prove difficult to follow for viewers who have not read the book series. The introduction of so many new and lively personalities will leave many viewers feeling overwhelmed.

Following a short confrontation with the hideous Vogons, Dent and Prefect fall into open space and are picked up by the galactic president, Zaphood Beeblebrox, (Sam Rockwell).

Dent finds his long lost would-be girlfriend, Trillian, (Zooey Deschanel), onboard. For the remainder of the movie, Dent tries desperately to win her affection.

As a watcher, but not a reader of the critically acclaimed series by Douglass Adams, I believe that the director failed to fully explain the story for those unfamiliar with it. The only thing that saved the movie from the poor acting of Arthur Dent and the various plot holes were the stunning visuals.

Near the end of the film, Dent goes on a ride through space to observe the construction of new planets. The original presentation of the planet factory was simply mind-blowing.

Construction cranes, half-built planets and orange-suited workers fill the floating factory ?floor?. As Dent flies past the different sites, audience members are drawn to the vastness and intrigue of the scene.

Mos Def was the savior of the film with his over the top movements and speech. Another character I enjoyed was Marvin, the chronically depressed robot, voiced by Alan Rickman.

Due to some lackluster acting and insufficient plot explanation, I would give this film a C+ rating.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is currently playing at Edward?s Cinema. For more information on the movie, go online at http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/.