Scheme entraps, influences writer

Pulsating with excitement I entered the video production room on the first day of my junior year. My schedule was set and classes all in order, or so I had thought.

Upon arrival to my second period class, I was thrown a curveball. Instead of a cushy teacher?s aide position, the instructor ?enlightened? me I had been enrolled into his journalism class. A trap?and I had walked right into it.

The teacher behind this sneaky move was none other than Greg Stobbe. He was and is the campus journalism teacher that apparently has a master?s degree in scheming. Mr. Stobbe had won this round and there was no denying it.

After my disbelief and astonishment, I began to make the most of the situation. I began in earnest to become the best journalist I could possibly be. Searching for all the facts and meeting deadlines became a daily routine.

Let?s take a minute to stroll down memory lane so you can understand the whole story of my journalism career.

I first began journalism my sophomore year because I am not musically inclined. I do not love the spotlight of the stage, and I am no Picasso, so journalism seemed appealing.

Although, after that year I began to feel that maybe journalism was not my calling. So, I did not sign up for the journalism class for the upcoming year. I had no idea that the decision was not up to me.

To make a long story short, Mr. Stobbe?s guiding/forcing influence helped give me the motivation I needed to strive to write like he knew I could. At the end of the year I felt more confident in my writing skills, not only for the newspaper but also in my schoolwork.

The information that I had been taught could be applied to any area of my life. I had no idea that taking an elective could perfect my writing skills.

As my time in high school has come to a close, I sit and reflect on all my whimsical journalism years and a small smile curls in the corners of my mouth. I enjoyed it, every last bit.