Experienced teachers return to classroom

For students, two new faces greet them in their classes, and both of them are in the science lab.

?I have been teaching since 1957 and retired in 1995,? Marvin Harms, AP biology teacher, said. ?I?ve taught at Madison elementary, and taught teachers at Fresno Pacific since 1978.? Harms, a graduate of Reedley College and Fresno State, has taught for over 40 years. ?My goal for all my students is that they pass the AP test.?

David McEntee, a graduate of Fresno State, is now on staff, replacing Rod Atchley, who left after eight years on campus. McEntee taught at Sanger High for 32 years and will be teaching biology, chemistry and physics.

?I want all of my students to do all the work I give them,? McEntee said, ?and achieve high levels of success.?

Most of McEntee?s family has been on staff at some time. Two of his three sons, Tom and Paul, heads of the drama and music departments, and David?s wife, Eunie, who taught on campus for over 20 years.

?I find it confusing to have multiple Mr. McEntee?s on campus,? Ryan Taylor, ?07, said. ?I have chemistry with David McEntee, and Bible with a different Mr. McEntee. It can be very confusing when I?m talking to someone about Mr. McEntee, and they don?t know which one I mean.?

For some students, the mundane science classes have become more interesting with the arrival of new teachers. McEntee?s students find his humor inspiring in the class, and the same is true with Harms.

?The class is really fun, because Mr. Harms is always telling jokes,? Matthew Karahadian, ?06, said, ?but he?s not afraid to give us plenty of homework.?

In 40 years of teaching science, Harms has experienced most everything that can happen in a science lab. Once in class, a student dropped a bottle of alcohol on the floor.

?The alcohol caught fire, and I was stomping on it to put it out,? Harms said. ?My bell bottoms caught fire. I didn?t feel it because of my socks, so I didn?t know until a student told me.?

Harms plans on beefing up the ?out of classroom experience? by taking a trip to the coast to study tide pools and elephant seals later in the year.

If you have any questions for either teacher, they can be reached at [email protected] and [email protected].