Senior trip cements memories

Cool beach surf and the warm Los Angeles sun highlighted the annual Senior Trip, held May 20-22.

Campus seniors made the trek from the Valley to glittering Southern California for a last chance to fellowship together.

?The Senior Trip provides the class with a last opportunity to be all together as a class,? Molly Sargent, senior adviser, said. ?Hopefully, it supplies very happy and positive memories for the seniors to leave with when they graduate.?

First off, the seniors hit the boardwalk of the Santa Monica beach on May 20 for some shopping and recreation on the beach.

Then, from there, they journeyed to Hollywood, where they strolled the streets of Tinseltown and took in a movie at the historic El Capitan Theater.

?I really enjoyed seeing The Hitchhiker?s Guide To the Galaxy at the El Capitan,? Damon O?Brien said. ?I?ve been waiting four years, since I first read the books, to see this movie, so for me, it was a realization of my dreams.?

Sports fans had their time in the sun the next day, when the class watched a Los Angeles Dodgers baseball game. Though the home team lost 3-1 to the visiting Anaheim Angels, students were able to enjoy the sights and sounds of major league sports.

The sports jerseys came off that evening for a classy dinner at the Irvine Spectrum shopping center. Students enjoyed high-quality fare at the FOX Sports Grill and the Cheesecake Factory and then strolled through the mall after dinner.

The following day was spent in its entirety at the Happiest Place on Earth: Disneyland.
Students enjoyed the luxury of park hopper passes, which enabled them to travel freely between Downtown Disney, California Adventure and Disneyland.

?I have had vertigo and an incredible fear of heights up until the senior trip, when I was forced onto a roller coaster against my will,? Chris White said. ?When I was 13, I threw up on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and now, at 18, I actually went on the Tower of Terror without passing out, which is obviously an improvement.?

Despite a bus breakdown on the trip home that set the class? arrival back by three hours, the trip ran relatively smoothly.

?I have been going on senior trips for 12 years, and this was the easiest trip we have ever had,? Sargent said. ?Everyone was very cooperative and uncomplaining and everything went as planned.?

Now that their class trip is over, the seniors look forward to their graduation, which will be held in the Peoples Church sanctuary on May 26 at 7 P.M. For more information about graduation, contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5.