Summer offers alternative education

Although students eagerly anticipate the lazy summer days, for some, a sense of responsibility embeds itself in these hot afternoons.

Summer school is an option for students who wish to clear up their schedules or an obligation for some students to make up a poor grade.

To the relief of many, the campus summer classes are conducted through independent study. Several packets regarding an academic subject of the student?s choice are issued and expected to be completed in a timely manner.

?I was kind of annoyed with the fact that we still have to come to school every few weeks and take a test on our packets,? Sarah Jimenez, ?08, said. ?But, it?s better than having to come to a real class every day.?

A few weeks ago, students were handed papers with a list of possible classes for the upcoming year and asked to make their schedules. At that time, they were also given the chance to sign up for summer classes which cost $200 per semester.

Students are given the opportunity to finish either one or two semseters of the class of their choice, and can take more than one class if they desire.

?I decided to take summer school through a public school system because they offer more classes,? Nick Frazier, ?07, said. ?It?ll be a good way to meet new people and keep busy over the summer.?

Some campus students who seek to get a class out the way have only a few options to choose from.

?I was only able to take U.S. history or Bible this summer,? Jimenez said. ?It made me mad because I really wanted to get chemistry out the way but teachers say it?s important to learn that in class.?

For some, summer school helps prevent the complete drainage of education that occurs over the summer vacation. While packets may not stimulate students like in the classroom, they still require fundamental knowledge of the subject matter.

“While students are expected to complete each packet,” Principal Gary Schultz said, “about 90% of the grade is dependent upon the test scores after the completion of each section.”

?I wish regular school was like summer school,? Frazier said. ?Everything would be more laid back and students we wouldn?t get as stressed out as we normally do. I think it would actually contribute to the developing of our minds?well it could.?

Summer school packets are available in most all academic subjects but administration must approve all requests. Often original credit is not offered unless a scheduling conflict results for a student. Most summer school packets must be completed by July 21.

For more information on summer school, contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5.