Grizzlies Stadium to host campus rivals

With tickets already on-sale and classroom talk diverted from academic rigors, the buzz on campus is who will retrain bragging rights for Valley football.

This will be the second time the Eagles have kicked-off their season at Grizzlies Stadium, the first being in 2003 against Immanuel Eagles. This year the team will host two-time defending Valley champions, the Central Valley Christian [CVC] Cavaliers on Sept. 2.

?I am very excited about playing against CVC at Grizzlies,? Jeremy Ramos, ?07, said. ?The last time we played there was my freshman year and it was awesome to be on that field. We?ve been practicing and working pretty hard all summer so I think we will be ready to take on the Cavaliers.?

Despite 49-0 loss to CVC on Sept. 4, 2004, head coach, Jon Hall, remains optimistic for this season?s opening game.

?They [CVC] have lost a few of their ?blue-clippers? due to graduation but will still be one of the strongest small school teams,? Hall said. ?All I can hope for is a great game plan, player?s best efforts, and a classy and respectful showing.?

For senior starting tight end, Seth Lane, the season promises to be strong due to a stronger team.

?The upcoming season is going to be intense,? Lane said. ?Our first game is in the most massive stadium and against one of the school?s biggest rivals. I think the team will play well this year because everyone seems to care more about the game and we should then play better than last season.?

Playing the first game at Grizzlies seems to be a strong motivation for the teams.

?Playing at Grizzlies Stadium is a highlight for our players,? Hall said. ?They feel that they are playing in the ?big time.??

Despite the majority of underclassmen on this year?s varsity team, Hall has high hopes for the season.

?Because of our youth (17 juniors), we will struggles a little at first and go through growing pains,? Hall said. ?However, I really see the opportunity to mature and hit our stride by the season?s end. We do have a young team but their positive attitude will make this season enjoyable.?

The athletes are not the only ones excited for the season?s opening game. Fans also seem to be excited for football at Grizzlies Stadium.

?I am so excited for the game at Grizzlies,? Megan Joy, ?07, said. ?I love going to the stadium and even though the band won?t be playing, the experience will be great. Even if we don?t win the football game, it will be a fun time.?

Additionally the high school student leadership class will be hosting a carnival for elementary students beginning at 5:30 P.M. The event will be held in the front plaza and include game booths, food, face-painting, etc. and is included with admission to the game.

The junior varsity game will begin at 5:30 P.M. and varsity will follow at 7:30 P.M. Tickets will cost $10 for general admission and $5 for students with ID cards and are available in the high school office or at the gate. Call 299-1695 for more information.