Students travel to coast, study marine life

20161109-monterey-bay005
[/media-credit] The FC AP Biology and Zoology classes took a field trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Nov. 9.

Science classes visit Monterey

Although a classroom provides a suitable place to learn a subject, students often get more out of a class when they take a more hands on approach. This is exactly what Dr. Karen Walters’ zoology and A.P. biology classes were able to do, Nov. 9.

The cool coastal wind blew across the ocean as waves roared and crashed on the beach. While many of their friends were still in school, Walters’ students breathed in the fresh ocean air as they walked along a shell filled beach, peering out at the vast Monterey Bay.

Walters’ arranged for the students to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium so they could get a chance to see, in person, how the animals they have been studying behave.

Maicy Luginbill, ’18, enjoyed going to the aquarium because it gave the class the chance to learn in a fun environment.

“I loved seeing the beautiful animals,” Luginbill said. “It was so cool to go to the aquarium. I think the trip is great because it gives us a chance to learn outside of the classroom.”

Students filed into the Monterey Bay Aquarium, eager to learn more about science and marine life. The classes chose not to have a tour guide, so that students could split up into smaller groups and spend more time at exhibits they were interested in.

Students had the opportunity to learn about various ecosystems and animals through passive and interactive exhibits. Zachary Passmore, ‘17, enjoyed the exhibits because they were both informative and entertaining.

“I liked the Otter exhibit the best,” Passmore said. “I learned that otters are willing to work for their food because they can’t store body fat and have to eat eight pounds of food a day. It was entertaining to observe the various tasks of the trainers.”

There were a variety of exhibits available for students to visit. Exhibits ranged from a deep sea tank, complete with sharks and other large fish, to a section dedicated to the different types of species living in Baja California.

Another exhibit encouraged viewers to not litter, as pieces of trash, such as plastic, end up getting eaten by marine animals and could result in the death of the animal.

After leaving the aquarium, students picnicked on the beach. Walter’s planned for students to scavenge through the tidepools in search of any wildlife, but because of the large waves, it became difficult for students to do so.

20161114-monterey-trip-001
[/media-credit] The students enjoyed visiting tourist attractions around Monterey before heading back to Fresno.

Carlee Whipple’s, ’18, favorite part of the trip was going to the tide pools. She enjoyed experiencing first hand interaction with the animals.

“My favorite part about the trip was when Tyler fell into the water,” Whipple said. “I also liked when a seagull stole my sandwich. I would like to go on a trip like this every quarter.”

Students photographed and uploaded to an app called iNaturalist to document their findings. Students can then later discuss their discoveries in class and unearth more information about the creatures they observed.

While the intent of the trip was to benefit the students in their science classes, Walters’ also wanted them to have fun and enjoy the trip. After leaving the beach, students spent time in Cannery Row and visited various shops. Afterwards, some students and chaperones drove to Fisherman’s Wharf where they ate dinner on the pier before heading home.

Students venture to Monterey Bay for the day.

[rev_slider alias=”montereytrip”]

For more articles, read WWII veteran perseveres through injuries, overcomes battles.

This author can be reached via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.