Football's season-opener under the lights

The boys? varsity football team at this campus has experienced a rollercoaster of wins and losses as their record of 4-6 and 2-2 in West Sierra League shows.

Joseph David Perry, ?07, came to this campus from Hoover High and now hopes to contribute and help turn the team?s fortunes around. He began playing since fourth grade at West Fresno under the inspiration of his father.

?One of my most memorable experiences happened when I played at West Fresno,? Perry said. ?It was my first game, we were playing against the Mustangs and I made 13 tackles.?

Although he started playing at a young age, he had admired the sport previously.

?I started football when I was watching it on TV,? Perry said. ?I loved it from the moment I saw it, so I knew I had to play.?

Perry came to this campus by the instruction of his parents, but believes playing with a new team and league will help improve their record. He also hope to continue playing football in college.

?I would like to play football,? Perry said. ?I want to attend ATO in Atlanta, Georgia.?

Besides Perry, Jeremy Ramos, ?07, anticipates a better season. He personally believes the team can beat defending champion, Central Valley Christian, and win the league.

?The best thing on being on a football team is the Friday night-lights,? Ramos said. ?The worse thing on being on a football team is all the bad attitudes.?

Ramos has played football every year and during this time he has experienced different positions to accomplish his current position.

?I have been playing football for three years,? Ramos said. ?I mostly play defensive end, but I also play tight end.?

Ramos finds the conversion from JV to varsity to require patience considering the different level of playing.

?Playing football for varsity is different than JV,? Ramos said. ?Because there are new players, new coaches and new plays to learn.?

The boys? first game will be against CVC, Sept. 2 at Grizzlies Stadium. Tickets are $10 adults and $5 for students with student body cards. For more information regarding football, contact Hall 299-1695, ext.124.

Student leadership is also sponsoring a Kiddie Karnival beginning at 5 P.M. The game booths are free with paid admission to the game. Games include pitching booth, two bounce houses, face-painting, fish for candy, cake-walk, ring toss, and more.