Page Turners: Wonder

Page Turners: Wonder

3 Things:

Simple plot line.

Lovable characters.

Heartwarming overall story. 

[media-credit name=”Google images ” align=”alignright” width=”300″]20161115-book-blog-001[/media-credit]

When a reader begins Wonder by R.J. Palacio, they simply cannot help but revert back to a childlike feeling of happiness and gentleness. A book for middle grade readers, the main character August (Auggie) Pullman confronts issues many children do not ever see. A 5th grader who’s already bound to have challenges moving to a new school, Auggie also has a facial deformity. The book follows multiple perspectives, including ones

from his friends, family and his own. The story can be described as uplifting and heartwarming, bringing tears of joy to the eyes of the reader and touches the hearts of young and old alike.

Many things about the novel were lovely, such as the length and general storyline, but following too many perspectives can be a downfall to any book. Wonder follows six different characters, which can be confusing at times for a more casual reader. Although, the narrators bring in a variety of ideas and more background than the main character himself can provide. Some of the supporting characters are presented as people everyone faces in life at some point. Bullies and friends alike give variety to the narration and make it relatable. A few of the narrators “speak” and express their ideas in texting lingo, something unfriendly to the usual reader.

Main character Auggie resonates kindness and happiness, despite troubles he most definitely meets during his day to day life. Other characters, such as his sister Via and Jack Will, Auggie’s best friend, are more

[media-credit name=”Google images” align=”alignleft” width=”203″]20161115-book-blog-003[/media-credit]

complex than being a simple side character. These characters provide complexity, support the main character, and, due to the multiple perspectives, readers get to see what many of them think. Realistic and friendly, the family and friends of Auggie contrast and compliment his personality.

For younger readers (and even for older readers) the life lessons in the novel show that although many people struggle, there is a life lesson that hope and love prevail over hatred. Even though the main character experienced so much hatred and awfulness in his life, those who he decided to keep close and those who stayed close made all the difference, creating happiness even through the struggles. The topic of bullying is discussed in the book, making reading it an important experience for young students. By choosing to be kind to others and choosing to not give in to those who hurt him, Auggie sets a great example for all readers to know that they too, can overcome problems and differences with others.

[media-credit name=”People Movies” link=”http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/553130/wonder-movie-tie-in-edition-by-r-j-palacio/9781524720193/” align=”alignright” width=”300″]20161115-book-blog-002[/media-credit]

Author R.J Palacio wrote a few other additions to the Wonder series, small, short stories about other characters in the book, including The Julian Chapter, Pluto: A Wonder Story, and Shingaling: A Wonder Story. These three ebooks each are less than 100 pages on and compliment the original book by sharing stories of Auggie’s past, present from another perspective, or later on in his life. A drama film is in the making for Wonder, as readers can see by the “movie tie in edition” that will be released in February. The movie is to be released in April of 2017.

The novel can be purchased online here.

This author can be reached on Twitter: @julz_lozano

For my last book review, read Vengeance Road.