Retreats soften return to school

The hallways once again seem overcrowded with bewildered and somewhat frightened/ over-confident teenagers–school is back in session. The new year provides a fresh start for students, new classes, new teachers and new friends.

However, in the midst of the endless note taking and upcoming quizzes, some students are looking forward to special trips and retreats.

Ensemble members retreated to Bass Lake on Aug. 26-27, for a time of fun, worship and fellowship. For seniors, on Sep. 10-11, the annual trip to Calvin Crest Conferences has traditionally been a positive and friendship building experience.

?I?m expecting a very positive outcome from the retreat,? Aaron Bryan, ensemble teacher, said. ?I?m hoping that being able to worship and pray together during the weekend will bring everyone closer together and form a strong bond.?

Anticipation for the retreat has traditionally run high among the ensemble students as well as Bryan.

?I?m excited for the trip,? Shane Darakjian, ?09, said. ?Since I?m a freshman I think it will help me to get to know the upperclassmen and, the idea of getting away for the weekend just sounds fun.?

Two weeks after the ensemble retreat, all the seniors, plus the senior teachers spend one night and two days getting re-acquainted in the mountains.

?I?m really looking forward to the senior retreat,? Lindsey Brush, ?06, said. ?I hope that by going, I can build new friendships, get to know everyone a little bit better, and just broaden my circle of friends in general.?

Some students? outlook is not as optimistic.

?I don?t really want to go on the retreat,? Derek George, ?06, said. ?I go camping with my family all the time so its nothing new to me. I don?t feel like giving up a whole weekend to do it again.?

For more information on the upcoming retreats, visit www.fresnochristian.com, or call the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5.