Boys basketball team starts season with out-of-town tournament

Damien Boyce, '17, dribbles past two defenders from Paramount Academy, Dec. 10.
[/media-credit] The boys varsity basketball team will be traveling to LA to compete in their first tournament of the season, Dec. 1-3.

Eagles begin year in Santa Clarita

The FC varsity boys basketball team will kick off the new season by competing in the Santa Clarita Christian Tipoff, Dec. 1-3. The will be the first of three tournaments that the Eagles will compete in throughout the season.

When the Eagles last went to LA, they were surprised by the physicality of the other teams. Coach Jon Penberthy wants to head down again to help prepare the team if state playoffs come up again.

“Last year when we went to LA for state playoffs we got a wake up call with how physical they played,” Penberthy said. “I’m hoping this will help prepare us if we get the opportunity to go to state again. I’m also hoping that this will help the team bond and grow closer together.”

The team is coming off a devastating defeat in last year’s Valley championship game in which they lost, 57-54, to Kern Valley. Over half the team from last year is returning and is motivated to get back to playing again. Daniel Walker, ’17 is looking forward to the tournament and hopes to grow closer to his teammates.

“I think the team will do very well,” Walker said. “We are all excited to get after it and start playing again. We have a good group of guys, almost all seniors, and I think we can compete well. I hope the team gets some good experience playing against teams we wouldn’t normally play. I’m also taking this as a a chance to bond and have fun together as a team.”

Damien Boyce, ’17 believes that the Santa Clarita trip will prepare the team for games later in the season.

“I think the team has good chance of doing well at the tournament,” Boyce said. “I hope we all can bond from this trip and get better for league.”

The Eagles will be seeking to make another run to Selland Arena again this year. For a full schedule read: Maxpreps.

For another article, read: Wes Moore reaches audience through humor, relatable message.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.