Historic monuments highlight Washington, D.C. trip

Tired campus students awoke to an early flight to Washington, D.C. on July 6. Weary faces plead for sleep but all slowly meandered to the airport gates.

Terry Richards, junior high science teacher, led his first educational tour taking 35 with him to the nation?s capitol.

?I have always wanted to take students on a trip and campus students are always well-behaved,? Richards said. ?I was confident taking the students because the tour company and its organizers were Christian and they helped put on a great tour.?

While the tour was fast-paced, the students were able to take in much of the metro Washington area.

?We looked at monuments and historical places,? Tonya Bramlett, ?09, said. ?One place I really enjoyed was the White House because of the beautiful garden and waterfall.?

Richards? believes while traveling across the country it is still important to represent this campus while learning and having fun.

?I was pleased with the students? behavior,? Richards said. ?I had tour guides and chaperons tell me that they were impressed on how good they were.?

Many went on this trip for different reasons: some students wanted to escape the state, to increase cultural experiences or some students? summers lacked activity.

?I went to Washington because it sounded like a good experience,? Scott Yantis, ?09, said. ?It was a great way to learn more about history in a memorable and educational way. It is better to learn seeing it than to learn reading in a book.?

The students took different things out of the trip such as education, a new life experience, enjoyment, souvenir, or had nothing better to do. Some neglected the intellectual experience and found a new source of education in purchases.

?Out of this trip I got a t-shirt and a shot,? Amanda Bearden, ?09, said. ?I also learned that to never go buy stuff from a hotel gift shop. They rip you off.?

Many found the trip to be insightful and overall pleasurable.

?Like many others I also became more knowledgeable and had many great sights,? Nick Fraizer, ?07, said. ?It was also enjoyable to go to a new place.?

Besides the White House and Washington monuments some found the lesser-known attractions to have more significant.

?My favorite part of the trip was when we laid a wreath at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier,? Richards said. ?The wreath said ?Fresno Christian? which made it more memorable.?

Richards is planning on leading another trip on June 11, 2006 and can be reached at [email protected] or at 299-1695, ext. 155. He is having a hosting a planning meeting for those interested on Aug. 30 at 7 P.M. in room 629.

For more information on the next Washington D.C. trip, contact Richards at 299-1695, ext. 155 or go online at www.worldstrides.com.