Christmas around the world: Asia

[/media-credit] Matthew Sue discusses the traditions of Christmas for Asian cultures.

Writer Matthew Sue will be covering the customs and traditions that cultures around the world celebrate Christmas with. The first article in this series will be covering the continent of Asia.

Christmas is a major holiday in the United States and in North America; but often Americans get so caught up with our own celebrations, they forget that there are other beautiful traditions out there that also deserve to be recognized.

China

Being a country with a very small Christian minority (roughly 1%), Christmas is not a major holiday in China but the cities often are decorated with  colored lights. The majority of celebration that occurs is in the cities and regions that were under European influence such as Shanghai and Hong Kong. The holiday is becoming more and more popular especially among the country’s youth.    

Chinese transfer student Nap Wong ’18 describes the differences and his impressions of Christmas in America.

“In China, we don’t have a 2-week Christmas holiday like America and we don’t exchange gifts ( Well, maybe some of us do )” Wong said. ” But people do decorate the streets. My initial impression of American Christmas was snow. I watch Christmas movies, so Christmas in America gives me a feeling of snow.”

Philippines

Christmas in the Philippines however, is much different than in China. In fact it could be considered one of the biggest celebrations of this holiday in the world. This is due to a number of things: first, Philippines have a very high Christian population (90%); second, the Philippines was a Spanish colony for a 333 years. These two factors have resulted in this holiday becoming a deeply rooted Christian tradition. People in the Philippines celebrate with a series of Masses (church services) and lanterns which are called ‘parols’. Parols are very similar to American Christmas trees in regards to their role in the festivities.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/297795337″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

South Korea

Christmas in South Korea is a widely celebrated holiday thanks to a sizable Christian population (29%). However this holiday is more low key than it is in the US. South Koreans tend to focus more on shopping and spending time family and friends than other things.     

20161201-christmas-around-the-world-002
[/media-credit] The Philippines decorate their houses with a Parol, much like the American Christmas tree.

Korean native Dana Kwon talked about how Christmas in Korea and US is different.

“We don’t celebrate Christmas [in Korea] as much as here,” Kwon said. “Also, Christmas is not very important to most of Koreans because they think that it is just holiday. On Christmas season, it is always snowing in Korea. I am able to build a snowman and have a snowball fight with my friends! In the U.S., Christmas Tree Lane is my favorite part, since we don’t have it in Korea.”

Japan

Celebration in Japan is much different then it is in the U.S.; it is seen as a secular holiday and the majority of the celebration is done on Christmas Eve. It is seen as a romantic holiday similar to Valentine’s day in America. Additionally many people celebrate with fried chicken; this is so popular in fact that people often order their meals in advance.

Japanese transfer student Mika (last name withheld)

“We do celebrate [Christmas in] Japan but most of the people don’t really think about it as Christ’s birthday and just giving gifts to family or friend,” said Mika. “I love atmosphere during Christmas in US. Their decoration is much more pretty. My host family’s Christmas decorations are so pretty and remind me of good memories.”

A special thanks to Adam Lee, CEO of AmeriStudent for helping me to gather quotes for this article check out their site at AmeriStudent.com

This concludes part one of Christmas around the world next in this series is the Middle East and Africa.  

The author used these sources: China Highlights, The holiday spot, Whychristmas?com, CNN    

This writer can be reached via email: Matthew Sue.