College planning night offers options, overview

Fresno Area College Night returned downtown to provide resources for high school kids to begin planning their next steps. The Fresno Convention Center Exhibit Hall hosted hundreds of students on Sept. 14 from 6-9 P.M.

Before the night officially began, an orientation from 5:30-6:30 P.M. gave parents and students information on how to navigate the night efficiently.

With over 100 local, state and national colleges represented, and over 5,000 parents and students attending, the night may have overwhelming for some.

?I strongly recommended that students attend,? Jon Endicott, vice principal and college guidance counselor, said. ?It was a great overview of the many options available. It especially helped with the U.C. application process.?

The night offered many workshops concerning admissions, planning for college, African-American colleges, Hmong and Spanish translated sessions, and scholarship and financial aid sessions. Students had the opportunity to meet with representatives from accredited vocational colleges, California State university campuses, community colleges, college clubs and organizations, financial planning institutions, and private universities and colleges.

?If you don?t know what to do or where to go to college, it was a great opportunity to get an idea for what colleges want and what to expect,? Jennifer Schmidt, ?06, said. ?Although I found it?s hard to just browse the booths because there are so many people.?

Schmidt attended the event last year. With the college decision out of the way, she was able to get more detailed information on the college of her choice.

Though very beneficial, the college night may not have met all decision-making needs.

?A student will get more out of actually visiting a college,? Principal Gary Schultz said. ?There is not much time to ask questions and get personal attention during the College Night.?

If the Fresno Area College Night seemed too overwhelming, there is another college event planned. The Peoples Church annually hosts a local Christian College Night in Ground Zero. This year it is scheduled for Sept. 29 from 6-9 P.M.

For more information on the Fresno Area College Night, contact Jennifer Quinn, special projects coordinator at (559) 265-3014. Students can also call Endicott at (559) 299-1695, ext. 126 or email him at [email protected].

Another college resource can be found online at The Feather?s ?Counseling Center.? Double-click on the FCS Counseling Center button in the Quick Links area of the right menu bar.