COLUMN: Recognizing ways to give back during Christmas season

[/media-credit] Throughout the Christmas season it is easy to be caught up in the festivities and forget to give back.

Salvation Army, Samaritan’s Purse offer service opportunities

Children gather around the tree eagerly waiting to open their presents. It is Christmas morning and excitement surrounds families around the world. Most associate December with presents and Santa, but often forget other opportunities available during the holidays.

All throughout the Christmas season, organizations arrange events and opportunities. Salvation Army organize volunteers to help veterans, families, prisoners and children worldwide. Some ways they offer service is standing at a local location and ringing the bell. Stationed buckets are placed around the city, while volunteers stand next to the buckets and draw the attention of others through the clanging bell.

Whether ringing the bell or donating to the organization, Salvation Army provides many chances to give to charity and help during the holidays.

This holiday season instead of getting wrapped up in buying and receiving, take time to think about all of the other opportunities available. From donating money or packing a shoebox to making a kind gesture to a friend or neighbor. This festive time is full of amazing opportunities to give. –Sophia Kalugin

Other events and organizations provide the same unique opportunities, such as Samaritan’s Purse. This worldwide organization helps families via their Operation Christmas Child program. This program presents an oppurtunity to give children gifts through packing shoeboxes with toys and personal items. Many students at FC have already participated in this unique opportunity.

Whether donating to an organization or just baking cookies to give to your neighbors, Christmas is a season full of giving opportunities and service to others. Families are not always able to pay the expenses of presents for their children. Consider gifting a family in that situation. It could mean the world to them.

[/media-credit] Operation Christmas Child is an easy way to help someone else during the holiday season.

Angel Tree is a organization that helps children whose parents are in prison. One can be involved in this organization by picking up a flyer with a personalized name on a card and Christmas list of one of the children. Once volunteers have their list, pick out a present to give to them and bring it either to a church or drop off location.

Giving can come in the smallest ways. It does not always have to be a big donation or expensive present. An act of kindness can work just the same. Whether it is mowing your neighbor’s lawn, baking them brownies or offering to go grocery shopping for them, these acts of kindness are all considered gifts.

Christmas for some is a reminder of what they do not have. I encourage everyone to consider sharing your joy and brings hope and happiness someone around you.

This holiday season instead of getting wrapped up in buying and receiving, take time to think about all of the other opportunities available. From donating money or packing a shoebox to making a kind gesture to a friend or neighbor. This festive time is full of amazing opportunities to give.

For Sophia Kalugin’s last article, read COLUMN: Dedication takes perseverance, commitment to mentor