Seniors lead class of 2010 to Calvin Crest

With the intolerable heat wave striking Fresno this month, it seems there is no way out of this weather. But there is the option to take a week off of school, travel up to the mountains, and breath in the clean fresh air that has not been experienced since last winter.

This is the chance to counsel eighth grade students on their annual Calvin Crest trip, Sept. 19?23. A select group of high schoolers will use this opportunity to get to know the junior high students in a more personal setting.

According to their website, Calvin Crest ?is a place where people can come to escape the distractions of the world, encounter the Living Christ, hear the Word of God proclaimed and experience transformation through the Holy Spirit.?

Calvin Crest began in 1954 and is an non-profit organization owned by the Presbyteries of San Joaquin and Stockton, Presbyterian Church U.S.A.

?It?s a good way to help the eight graders get to know each other,? Terry Richards, junior high science teacher, said. ?It sets the tone for the rest of the year for the students? interaction. They also get the chance to make spiritual decisions that are lasting.?

Sixty-five students will be attending camp this year, participating in classes taught by the Calvin Crest staff in an outdoor setting.

?I went on the Calvin Crest trip last year,? Seth Lane, ’06, said. ?I wanted to go because I remembered how fun it was my eighth grade year. Plus I wanted to get out of school.?

Counseling gives the students a chance to connect with older high schoolers. The relationships formed continue through to high school.

“I’ve wanted to go to Calvin Crest since last year when I heard high school students could be counselors,” Kira Armbruster, ’06 said. “I love being around young people and I’m used to helping people younger than me with problems or drama in their life. I’m beyond excited to share a room full of girls for a week. It’s going to be a blast!”

The high school counselors are required to enforce the rules of the camp, be mentors to the eighth grade students and Christian examples of high school students.

?The times I remember the best were when all the counselors got together and did devotionals in the morning,? Kim Bimat, ’06, said. Bimat was a counselor during last year?s retreat. ?Also I remember at night when all of my kids would ask me questions about high school. They were so interested in what high school would be like. I was able to influence the students and prepare them for high school. It was an awesome experience.?

The students will be leaving at 8 A.M. from the high school parking lot on Sept.19. Students interested in signing up should contact the junior high office at 299-1695, ext. 123.

To contact Calvin Crest, go to their website at www.calvincrest.com or call (559) 683-4450.