Basketball prepares for early tournaments

Adrenalin, hard work and sweat meld together as the varsity basketball team readies its self for a promising season. With football team still competing for playoff seeding, the varsity basketball players are already practicing.

“I really think this season is going to be one of the best,” Nick Jones, ’02, said. “This summer we played a lot of different schools, bonded a lot as a team and improved our skills.”

During the summer the team participated in the Sunnyside summer league and worked to match the skills of teams from various divisions, with competitors such as Edison and Clovis High.

“The goal was just to play lots of games in a short time,” Chris Schultz, head basketball coach, said. “This year we have really good senior leadership.”

The team looks forward to the coming season with a sense of unity and hopes to take playoffs.

“I think we could go deep into playoffs,” Sam Babcock, ’02, said. “This year we have a lot more chemistry than last year.”

Babcock has been a member of the team for three years and plays a large part in the leadership of team. Aside from Babcock, another key player on the team is John Wiens,?02.

“I can always count on Babcock and Wiens to work hard,” Schultz said. ” They provide leadership by their example.”

Before beginning the West Sierra League game the players will participate in tournaments out of town such as San Diego and Boonville.

“I love going away to the tournaments,” Evan Sanders, ’03, said. “I think it is really the time where we come together and bond. Plus its so much fun to play different teams and hang out with all the guys.”

The team will be playing in the Boonville tournament on Nov. 29. The Boonville tournament is the largest and oldest Division Five Tournament in California

“We won’t have a full team because some are playing football,” Schultz, said. “It’s a fun trip, beautiful area and there isn’t much to do other than play and watch basketball.”

The team and campus will host the Central California Division Five Championships Dec. 26- 29 in the new gymnasium. This tournament has been put together to bring the best Division Five teams from the North, South and Central Valley to compete against each other.

“This is going to be one of the best tournaments,” Babcock said. “There are going to be something like 300 people there and lots of competition.”

As the season approaches not only the returning players are eager about the season but also the newest members of the team.

“I am excited about taking the next step in my basketball career,” Nathan Yockey, ’03, said. “Junior varsity was fun but varsity will be better because actual people will be there to cheer us on.”

Not only the members of the team look forward to a successful season but also the many fans and the nut house. The first WSL game will take place on campus Jan. 2 at 5:30 p.m.

“I love going to the basketball games,” Laura Berg, ’04, said. ” I can’t wait until the first home game I like coming and supporting our team.