Grandparents return to campus

Grandparents appear overwhelmed in the space captivity of the small halls, trying to locate their loved ones amidst the hundreds of students. This may seem chaotic but remains a treasured event for this campus.

For the 14th year campus is holding its annual Grandparents Day. It will take place on Sept. 9 beginning at 9 A.M. Administration has invited grandparents to visit classes and enjoy a free lunch with their grandchildren.

During this day the grandparents will hear an orientation in Ground Zero and then attend classes.

?Both my grandmother and grandfather are coming,? Vincent Cabias, ?09, said. ?Having this event is really cool because you get to spend a day with your grandparents.?

Although some students wish their grandparents could attend they cannot because of inconvenience of traveling.

?My grandparents can not come,? Alisa Reynolds, ?07, said. ?Because they live in Virginia. If I could have them come I would because I could see them again.?

Many students have unique bonds with their grandparents, which involve more than pleasantries and presents.

?My grandmother and I do not get along very well,? Mike Prentice, ?08, said. ?She usually hits me with her cane and includes name calling, and it is also vise versa.?

Sharon Scharf and her home economics class will be making a 100 dozen cookies for Grandparents Day. They started to make cookies Aug. 31 and continued through Sept. 6.

?We are making these cookies for grandparents and students to enjoy,? Scharf said. ?We are making many different cookies like chocolate chip, chocolate chocolate chip, ginger snaps, peanut butter, oatmeal and snicker doodles.?

The student of home economics enjoyed making the cookies for Grandparent?s Day even though it was repetitive and difficult at times.

?Making cookies was hard work at times,? Taryn Brown, ?08, said. ?It was an enjoyable and an educational experience.?

But most students agree this day is more than just a time to be with grandparents but to cherish the experience.

?My grandparents have passed away,? Krizia Tovar, ?06 said. ?But having grandparents on campus is a good opportunity to appreciate and bond with them.?

For more information in regards to Grandparents? Day, contact the high school office at 559-299-1695, ext. 5.