Football falls flat opening Night

Over 1370 fans for both sides cheered from the bleachers of Grizzlies Stadium, despite both of Fresno Christian?s teams falling flat to the Central Valley Christian on Sept. 2.

?Inexperience, 18 out of 23 players had never played a varsity game,? John Hall, football coach, said. ?It was a first chance to get their feet wet.?

The Cavaliers shut out FC, 58-0, holding the Eagles to one first down and only 42 yards in total offense. C.V.C. led 35-0 at halftime and forced Eagle mistakes throughout the game.

Hall also said that the team is working to improve game speed during practice.

?It was nice playing at Grizzlies Stadium,? Nick Erickson, ?07, said, ?but it was more of a learning experience, just give us a few games.?

?It was a great atmosphere,? Hall said about playing in Grizzlies Stadium. ?It felt like playing big time high school football.?

Erickson plans to see the team improve as the season progresses.

?This next game we?re coming with more confidence, and less mistakes,? Hall said.

Aside from the game, hundreds of kids were drawn to the Kiddie Karnival, sponsored by student leadership. All the games were free, and included a ring toss, cakewalk, face painting, two bounce houses and more.

The loss not only hurt team moral but two players were injured in the C.V.C. game.

Junior varsity player Anthony Johnson suffered from a back injury after he was tackled.

?They tell me I was on the field for about a half an hour,? Johnson said. ?I was in a lot of pain. I feel better now, but it?s still uncomfortable.?

His doctor put Johnson on ?self-monitoring.? He plans to start playing again as soon as possible.

Ryan Brunn also fractured a toe during the game.

?He?s recovering and should be back soon,? Hall said.

Football next hosts Immanuel on Sept. 9 at Clark Intermediate in Clovis starting at 5:30 P.M. for JV and 7:30 P.M. for varsity. The cheerleaders are also hosting elementary cheer clinic girls during the varsity game.

For more information on campus football, contact the office at (559) 299-1695, ext. 125 or contact Hall at [email protected].