FBI award winner considers engineering

Summers are usually flogged with inactive behavior, but for one student a hospitable act for a neighbor turned into a career opportunity.

Aaron Ortiz, ?07, watched his neighbor?s sick cat while she was gone for vacation and she then nominated him for a position at a summer program sponsored by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Doing the right thing created an opportunity that otherwise would have gone, unused.

?I had to write an one page essay on leadership and being a leader to be accepted,? Ortiz said. ?I was also interviewed by three FBI graduates on the same topic.?

Ortiz believes the experience was beneficial in several ways. The knowledge he gained will help him later in life, maybe not directly in his math class, but later on while looking at colleges and careers.

?It was a lot different being there,? Ortiz said. ?I got to see secret service, presidential choppers, the marine corp. base, how things work at the headquarters. I made a lot of friends and learned a lot on leadership skills.?

To conclude his time learning about the FBI he participated in the Yellow Brick Road. During his participation in this program, Ortiz had to remain physically fit and maintain a high level of endurance.

?We had a three mile stamina endurance training course, actually used by FBI agents, Ortiz said. ?It had bear pits, cargo ropes, ditches, walls and ropes.?

Ortiz has been invited to speak about his experiences in December at the California Chapter of the FBI National.

In the past Ortiz is considering a job in engineer. However, this opportunity has proved another possible career choice.

?I am interested in becoming a engineer,? Ortiz said. ?I never considered working in the FBI before but it is another door open.?

Meagan Ortiz, ?09, a sibling of Aaron Ortiz believes his involvement in the summer program gained him experience to help him in his daily life.

?I think my brother desired the position in the program,? Megan Ortiz said. ?He seems to be more responsible after returning.?

Some students feel Ortiz?s experience even applies to their life. An application to being committed to give a hundred percent at everything he does.

?This proves that if you do something always do it with everything you have,? Ashley Chavez, ?08, said, ?even if it is only watching a cat.?

Interested applicants must fill out a form and be chosen from an FBI graduate to be considered for this program and can be found at www.fbinaa.org.

For more information regarding Ortiz?s program go to the FresnoBee.com on Aug. 8, 2005, to find an article by Jennifer Garcia called, ?Program gives teen full FBI Experience.?