Defense poised to lead football team against CVC for championship

Trying to end a 13-year drought without a championship, the varsity football team will take the field against Central Valley Christian (CVC) on Nov. 16. The Eagles, who have not won a championship since 1987, are lead by quarterback Sam Fisher, ’03, and their defense.

Both FC and CVC have identical 3-0 league records and are 6-2 overall. This is the game of the season and will decide who wins the Central Sierra League championship and gets an automatic berth to the playoffs.

“This game is the biggest game in our football programs history,” Jon Hall, varsity head coach, said. “Again we will have to count on defense to stop a very proficient CVC offense.”

All during the season, the Eagles have had to rely on their defense to pull them through the close games.

“Our philosophy all year long has been that we don’t allow big plays,” Christopher Schultz, defensive coordinator, said. “We have 4 A’s in our defense: assignments, attacking, angles and attitude. Players need to make sure they control their position, and attack teams before they attack us.”

The defense came up big against Farmersville on Nov. 9 by only allowing a field goal and 178 total yards in a 7-3 Eagles victory. This win virtually ensured that even if the Eagles lose on Friday, they will get an at large birth to the playoffs. Fisher threw the lone touchdown for the Eagles to wide receiver Michael Van Beek, ’03.

“It was a little rough the entire game because the cornerbacks were playing tough coverage on our receivers,” Fisher said. “Beek did a good job of getting open even while being double covered. We were able to hook up on a slant and he broke the coverage and took it to the house.”

According to the Nov. 15 edition of The Fresno Bee, the Eagles are ranked fifth in the Valley in team defense and have only allowed 1,766 total yards in eight games.

“To win against CVC, we have to shut them out,” linebacker Austin Livingston, ’03, said. “We will win or lose this game with defense.”

The Eagles are also lead by defensive lineman Wayne White, ’02 who lead the team in defensive points against Farmersville. Defensive players get points for tackles, sacks, and quarterback hurries.

“I’m looking forward to playing our toughest and hopefully best game of the season,” White said. “It is possibly my last high school game and I want to go out winning.”

Both the junior varsity and varsity football teams will compete at Clark Stadium in Clovis on Nov. 16 beginning at 5:30 p.m. The student body and parents are also invited to attend the Fifth Quarter at Foster’s Freeze on Clovis Avenue after the game.