Dandy's brilliance lacking splendor

Go ahead, tell me that you?ve never heard of The Dandy Warhols before. Well the Dandy?s are (simply put) the most brilliant band making the most brilliant music of our time.

Now with the highly anticipated ?Odditorium or Warlords of Mars? reaching CD shelves across the globe, this band was to be the biggest thing since Andy Warhol himself.

The band consists of four peculiar members including Courtney Taylor-Taylor, Peter Holmstrom, Zia McCabe, and Brent DeBoer. They have produced six albums including ?The Black Album,? which is a compilation of miscellaneous songs that can only be bought at dandywarhols.com.

Often referred to as “The Velvet Underground” of our age, the sound of the Warhols is one of unmatched ingenuity and surpassing splendor. In the same way Lou Reed and his Velvet Underground changed the face of music years ago, so have the Dandy?s in our day in age.

However, after purchasing the latest album, ?Odditorium or Warlords of Mars,? my creeping concerns have been confirmed. The band?s peak came with the release of the innovative ?Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia,? but their latest two albums have been clouded by long dreary tracks consisting of perpetual beats with few striking transitions.

Though the new direction the band has taken continues to dash my hopes of a brighter future, what they have already accomplished will live on as the most dazzling and influential music our generation has ever produced.

As the band remains, in a sense, ?underground? in America, their fourth and fifth albums went platinum in the UK. However, they continue to play such festivals as Seattle?s Bumpershoots, but for the most part they tour only in Europe.

The band?s current venue is to play the Lark Festival in Albany, NY, on Sept. 16 before departing on a month-long tour through various European countries, appearing in such cities as Belgium, London, Paris and Amsterdam.

Compact disks can be found in Fresno at Tower Records or Borders.