CSF creates service opportunities

A new year of service begins as CSF kicks off the year with bigger plans and dreams of making a difference. The motto this year, “Scholarship for Service,” provides the main focus and mission statement for the California Scholarship Federation.

“This year I hope to be more consistently involved in projects,” Ellen King, CSF director said. “My goal for CSF students is to actively participate in service projects.”

According to www.csf-cjsf.org/, the purpose of the California Scholarship Federation is to encourage high standards of scholarship, service, and citizenship among California students.

Mr. Charles F. Seymour proposed it at a convention of high school principles of Oakland in 1916. He was the vice-principal of a high school in San Diego County and began by organizing a scholarship society on his campus.

In November, members of CSF will participate in Operation Christmas Child by collecting shoeboxes full of gifts for designated ages. Specific dates of these events will be announced as time draws near.

Beginning in December, CSF will once again return to the Craycroft Youth Center. The Craycroft Center provides a safe haven for abandoned and abused children in the Fresno area.

Second semester the service group will initiate Pennies for Patience program to collect loose change to support Leukemia and Lymphoma patients. They plan on putting jars in each class. Points will be awarded to the class that collects the most money for an ultimate grand prize.

The new year creates more opportunity for students to get involved and have a voice that is heard. The CSF leadership team includes: president Will Hierholzer, vice president Gary Darakjian, secretary Brianna Stobbe, treasurer Aaron Ortiz, and advisers Jennifer Schmidt and Michelle DiBudio.

“I’m excited about our leadership team. They have fresh ideas, energy and direction,” King said.

Membership in CSF is renewed each semester and has grade requirements and a small fee. Initially freshmen do not have the grade requirements to sign up, so they are not at a loss.

The honors of being a lifetime member include donning the yellow sash on a graduation robe. In this case a lifetime is four years, freshman through senior year, both semesters.

“I like being in CSF because it looks good on a college application,” Kira Armbruster, ’06, a lifetime member, said. “I like to help with the school activities that CSF plans. It is also nice to get to go off campus for lunch if you are an underclassman.”

CSF membership also provides an opportunity for an outgoing senior to receive a scholarship. It awards money to one deserving senior every year.

Periodic meetings in King’s room and lunch off campus on the first and third Thursday are the perks of membership. This year the meeting are mandatory and some consequences may affect a member’s priviedge of off-campus lunches.

If two meetings are missed an underclassman’s lunch pass is revoked. Even worse consequences remain for seniors. If a senior misses two meetings, they are unable to meet the ten hours of community service requirements for the year.

The opportunities provided by CSF create great chance to get involved. To make a difference while fulfilling community service quotas, contact a student representative today and remember to not miss the mandatory meetings.

For more information on CSF or becoming a member, contact King at [email protected]. For more detailed information on CSF projects, contact the Craycroft Center at www.exchangecluboffresno.org/craycroft.html and the Smaritans Purse organization at www.samaritanspurse.org.