Social Club Misfits produce deep, personal album

“Misadventures of Fern and Marty” reveals past struggles 

[/media-credit] “The Misadventures of Fern and Marty” is made up of the Social Club duo.

Social Club Misfits is a Christian hip hop group made up by the duo, Fernando Miranda (Fern) and Martin Santiago (Marty). The group was started back in 2011 and just released their fifth studio album, “The Misadventures of Fern and Marty.”

The biggest thing that I took from this album was the amount of personal information that was interwoven into the songs. I enjoyed the album, but I wouldn’t goes as far as say that it was a great album. 

I could tell that a lot of thought went into the making of the songs. Most of, if not all of them contained either some type of personal story or piece of advice. The song, “Misfit Anthem,” talks about how God has provided a way from their dark past and that there is still bright days ahead. 

“The wretch from Amazing Grace somehow you still love me, you still love me. A work in progress and I’m far from finished, you made a way for me, you gave my life a new beginning. When I thought that it was ending this that song I play when there’s turbulence shaking on the plane.”

Social Club believes that society’s focal point is going away from God. They also witness Christians afraid to talk about Him. 

“If we leave God out then we missing the focus, I see Christians embarrassed of God but honestly that’s just embarrassing us. If I can’t talk about him in public how can he trust us to speak right in front of a crowd?”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/304810221″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Both Fern and Marty come from a dark past. At a young age, Marty was embarrassed by his pastor and was kicked out of the church. Fern’s past included partying and drug use. Despite these incidents, God was and is still in control of their lives.

“I’ve been talking to God, when I asked why he didn’t respond, he said, “You talking too much.” He said, “Didn’t I make you? The sun, the moon, the stars, and if this world hates you, it’s because you are mine.”

[/media-credit] Social Club believes that God is being left out of society.

I only have a few criticisms on the album. After listening to the songs, I realized that most of them sounded very similar. I didn’t find many up-beat, fast tempo songs. I also noticed that the only big name artist that was featured on the album was, Andy Mineo. Social Club is a popular group, so it is kind of disappointing that they weren’t able to get more big name artists to feature on the album. 

Overall, I found, “The Misadventures of Fern and Marty” very interesting. I was a fan of how often they incorporated their personal history into their songs but would have liked to see some different artists featured on the album.

Social Club is on the rise so I expect them to produce future successful albums.

For another article, read: Alumni attend inauguration, witness history.

This winter can be reached via Twitter: @_NickLeBlanc and via email: Nick LeBlanc