FC boys soccer sport short: Fowler

Eagles capture victory over the Redcats

[/media-credit] Alexander Rurik, ’19, prepares to throw the ball in.

The Eagles traveled to Fowler to face off against the Redcats in the first matchup of the season between the two teams, Jan.19. Last time the two teams met the Eagles defeated the Redcats 3-1. This time the Eagles once again defeated the Redcats, 2-1.

Fowler was looking to redeem themselves after the last matchup loss to the Eagles and the Eagles were attempting to once again defeat the Redcats. The game started off in high intensity and had the fans on the edges of their seats.

Fowler was attacking well and creating many chances. However, the Eagle defense was doing just as well as the Redcat offense and allowed no early goals. FC had only a few scoring opportunities in the first half, but they were very strong attempts. The game was very even and had both teams fighting for the first point of the game.

The first half came to a close after an intense battle. The score going into the second half was 0-0, with no advantage to either team. During halftime, both teams changed up their strategies and were ready to take the lead.

The second half of the game began and was much more even on both teams’ attack and defense. Many chances came and went but neither team could tack one on the board.

With ten minutes left to go, the Eagles began a strong attack. Just when the game seemed it was going to end as a draw, Jaden Ventura, ‘18, scored a goal for the Eagles, putting them in the lead, 1-0.

The Eagles celebrated and were ecstatic they had taken the lead, but Fowler was not done yet. FC was caught off guard on a corner kick only minutes later and the Redcats tied up the game at, 1-1.

Humbled, the Eagles tried to finish the game. Clear upset was seen on the players’ faces but they continued on pushing until the final whistle of the game. Everything seemed over when sophomore, Alex Rurik, scored a goal off of a corner kick play with less than thirty seconds to go. The Eagles defeated the Fowler Redcats in the final seconds of the game, 2-1.

Ventura scored the opening goal of the game and the first of his high school career and recollects the feeling.

“Scoring my first goal was really exciting. The moment I scored all of my teammates were rushing me and congratulating me. I was very proud of myself for scoring but more proud that I was able to contribute to the team’s victory in such a close game. The fact that I had scored against one of the, if not best teams in our league made it that much better!”

The win against Fowler puts the Eagles’ overall record at 3-2-4.

For more boys soccer sport shorts check out: FC boys soccer sport short: Coast Union.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected].