Join the Discussion: Women’s March

[/media-credit] Thousands gathered to protest a variety of rights around the world, Jan. 21.

Now that a turbulent election season has officially came to an end, and Donald Trump was declared the 45th President of the United States, protests and riots still fill many major cities. While many protests lacked unity and numbers, the Women’s March filled the streets of Washington D.C. with hundreds of thousands of protesters.

Similar marches followed in cities across the nation, including one here in Fresno. Students were asked to give their opinion on the Women’s March and whether or not they agreed with it.

An inspiration for women
Claire Palsgaard, Freshmen
February 6, 2017

“I thought it was really inspiring,” Palsgaard said. “There were some things that were really controversial, but I thought it was inspiring to see all these different groups of people join together for one cause. I went to one in San Francisco and it was really empowering but it was also kind of sad. There were a lot of people who were crying and really emotional because of Trump and his policies.”

Women are strong together
Natalie Nichols, Freshmen
February 6, 2017

“I think it was inspiring to see women join together,” Nichols said. “I don’t think anything like this has ever happened in a while, so I think it is cool that it can happen now. I think most of it has to do with Trump because right after he got elected, all of this kind of blew up.”

Stand for Diversity
Cate Vander Kooi, Junior
January 28, 2017

“I am for the Women’s March,” Vander Kooi said. “What I understood was that they were standing up for diversity, which is why there were some race issues as well not just women’s issues. I do think it will make a difference because it shows that they are there and they are not going to go away. I definitely think that there were issues there far before Donald Trump became president and I feel like it just has now peaked in society.”

Accepting our new leader
Ashley Zamarripa, Sophomore
January 28, 2017

“I think they all need to stop doing it (protesting) because it’s annoying,” Zamarripa said. “I don’t necessarily know what they are standing up for in the Women’s March, but in the other protests they are usually protesting the fact that Donald Trump is our new president. I think they should accept that he’s our president because they can’t really do anything about it. I think it’s mainly just people disagreeing about what he is for and being bitter that their Democratic nominee didn’t win.”

There are better ways to protest
Blake Deffenbacher, Freshmen
January 28, 2017

“I believe that everyone’s rights are important including women’s rights, men’s rights and every race’s rights,” Deffenbacher said. “However, I don’t think the way they expressed their beliefs was right because of how extreme they were. I feel like they could protest in a lot better and less extreme way.”

A pointless protest
Juliette Davila, Senior
January 28, 2017

“I believe some protests mean something and they stand for a better purpose, but the Women’s Protest was pointless because we already have our rights,” Davila said. “I think they were trying to stand up for little things that women don’t have, but really aren’t necessary and I don’t honestly think it’s going to change anything. Being president doesn’t mean he (Trump) is the cause for everything. I feel like this was out of his control and he is just trying to do his best.”

[/media-credit] With signs in hand the Women’s March took the streets of many cities.

A made up cause
Marissa Parker, Senior
January 28, 2017

“I don’t really agree with it,” Parker said. “I think it’s kind of pointless considering we already have our rights and we can already vote and do other stuff, so I just feel like there was no point to it. I think it is just their own cause that they have made up so that they have a reason to march.”

A misguided protest
Zach Passmore, Senior
January 28, 2017

“I think a lot of them are somewhat misguided because none of them really have a set purpose of what they are protesting mainly,” Passmore said. “I can’t really tell for sure what most of them are standing up for. It seems like they are mad that Donald Trump won, but nothing they do is going to make a difference or change if he is president or not.”

It won’t change the opinions of others
Alina Ochoa, Sophomore
January 28, 2017

“I don’t think it’s going to make a difference,” Ochoa said. “I think no matter what, the decisions are already made and they are not going to be able to change everybody else’s mind. I agree with them to a certain extent, but some stuff is a little much and I don’t stand up for it.”

Not clear about what the protests mean
Kayla Vanderlinden, Freshmen
January 28, 2017

“I don’t really know much about the Women’s March,” Vanderlinden said. “I think it is kind of weird and I don’t really understand what they are standing up for. I would not participate in it if I had the chance to.”

Unnecessary
Landon Goldsborough, Sophomore
January 28, 2017

“I feel like it was unnecessary and kind of like they were being sore losers, but that’s just my opinion,” Goldsborough said. “I think they feel threatened by Trump. They think that he will take away their rights as women.”

[/media-credit] Above, protesters stand outside the gates of the White House, Jan. 21.

Fighting for rights we already have
Jayda Armstrong, Freshmen
January 28, 2017

“I think the Women’s March is weird because they are trying to fight for women’s rights, but we have rights,” Armstrong said. “It doesn’t make sense why they would protest. I do not agree with their cause, just because Trump is president doesn’t mean he doesn’t like women.”

Indifferent about the cause
Stephen Walters, Junior
January 28, 2017

“I think it is an interesting protest that they have created,” Walters said. “It is kind of divided, half of them are standing up for what they actually believe in and the other half is just there because of the liberalism and media. I am really indifferent about their cause, I don’t agree or disagree. If that is what they believe than they have a right to protest it, but if it is just because of the current establishment than I think it is wrong.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/305436090″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

What is your opinion about the Women’s March and other recent protests? Join the discussion by sharing your thoughts in the comments below.

For more articles, read Academic dishonesty affects cheaters, justification for cheating.

This author can be reached via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.