Grocery store trip educates shoppers

Does a grocery store offer education? The campus home economics class will be traveling to Save Mart to find out. In keeping with the eighth year tradition, the eaters will meet the providers.

?I first decided to take students to Save Mart because it was close to campus,? Sharon Scharf, home economics teacher, said. ?It think the trip is worth while because the students learn about the food industry, purchasing, nutrition, recycling and dates on packages.?

There will be 30 students going on the field trip on Sept. 29. Many of them have been on shopping trips to the grocery store but have not seen a behind-the-scenes look into the food business.

?I have never gone to Save Mart for a field trip before,? Rose Walker, ’06, said. ?This may help me gain better shopping experience. We will learn about merchandizing, nutrition labels, smart shopping and consumer education.?

Sharon Blakley, of Save Mart consumer relations, led last year’s class on the tour. Blakley, a registered dietitian, has worked at Save Mart for 23 years and offered hints and suggestions for shoppers.

“The average household spends $4,500 to $5,000 a year on food,” Blakley said. “One should not do grocery shopping on an empty stomach. If they do, shoppers will spend, on the average, 20% more.”

Past home economic students look forward to this year’s grocery excursion.

?When I went last year it showed me what happened behind the scenes,? Eric Beneke, ?07, said. ?It helped me understand the necessary steps a grocery store must have to remain productive and in the mind of the consumer. More goes on than what we know.?

The annual Save Mart trip seems to be a perk for some home economic students as they joinded the class for educational purposes.

?I think home economics will help me learn more about cooking and sewing,? Kailee Maxey, ?09, said. ?After I will be able to cook better and it will be more interesting and fun.?

Some students believe the being involved in home economics adds experience that is later useful in life.

?I think that this will give our class some learning experience,? Daniel Kaiser, ?08, said. ?I need help with my cooking skills, because when I move out and into my own apartment I will not have to live off of macaroni and cheese.?

For more information regarding home economics trip, contact Scharf at 299-1695, ext. 159.