Christian College Fair expands collegiate opportunities

For most people, the future cannot get here fast enough. Often this is the case for high school students.

High school can be a blur, a hazy memory that passes students by. And, at times, students fail to take the time to prepare properly, especially seniors during a whirlwind year.

Often seniors spend months in a sluggish state of relaxation and may take little time to focus on college. As a result students are left ill equipped and unaware of the importance of finding and applying for college. However an event is planned to help spurn seniors into action.

The Peoples Church hosted the annual Christian College Fair on Sept. 29 from 6:30-8:30 P.M. in the Peoples? Church gym.

?I was glad to go and have the opportunity to scope out my collegiate opportunities,? Matthew Karahadian, ?06, said. ?I was able to find colleges available to a student of my caliber.?

Applying can be a hassle, but workshops like the Christian College Fair, as well as online registration, have made it easier for students to choose and apply to colleges.

?All the colleges are Christian-based,? Jennifer Schmidt, ?06, said. ?You can get them all in one spot, and compare and analyze them.?

Schmidt is one of a few seniors that attended during her junior year.

?It?s easy to access because it?s at Fresno Christian,? Schmidt said. ?The smaller environment makes it better, easier to access, and condenses it down for you. I encourage all seniors to attend this year, no matter where they go.?

Students were able to find a wealth of information on many local state Christian colleges as well as national ones. Schools like Azusa Pacific University [APU], Biola University, and Fresno Pacific University were present.

Admission counselors find the fair to be a good opportunity for students to receive important information in a smaller setting. It allows them to spread the word about their respective school.

?The Christian college fair is a great place to have questions answered in a non-overwhelming setting,? Becky Lopez, APU admissions counselor, said. ?APU offers a large amount of options due to its larger size, but still gives the atmosphere of a smaller university.?

Endicott was on hand to answer questions and give college advice to seniors. A complete list of all schools and information can be found in Endicott?s office. Students can contact Endicott at [email protected] or at 299-2915, ext. 126.