Senior leads undefeated WSL tennis team

Appearances become hazed, heads begin to ache, sweat runs, but the drive to win the next point overrides the pain to do so.

For the past 30 years the Wawona Peach Tree tournament provided experience to teams across the state. This year, the girls? tennis team took part in the tradition.

The team went through the tournament 2-4, with close losses playing against teams in division one and two. The girls represented the smallest school in the tournament and played schools with 10 times the enrollment.

?How well the girls did overall compared to the size of schools we played sticks out in my mind,? coach George Freeman said. ?Our team played to the best of their abilities at every match and they never gave up and they improved as the tournament went on.?

The No. 1 ranked player, senior Ashley Sherr, believes the team needed to experience the losses to be able to surpass the current level of playing.

?Our team has not lost a West Sierra League match since 1998,? Sherr said. ?This was a great way to play against some better teams to gain experience to win Valley and continue into the [California Interscholastic Federation] CIF individual playoffs.?

Other players agree that the tournament offers more than simply competition, but also team growth.

?The tournament is hard core tennis,? Erin Elmore, ?06, said. ?It was fun but tiring playing against one and two division schools so there was tough competition. Plus the bonding aspect of the tournament was good because we all had blisters on our feet.?

Freeman thinks the Wawona tournament helped the whole team as well as the individual players to gain experience.

?Erin has become more consistent after playing in the tournament,? Freeman said. ?She knows what it takes to win against tough competition.?

Prior to seventh grade Elmore had never picked up a racquet with the intention of playing on a team. Yet under the encouragement of her father, tennis has become an important part of her life.

?My dad encouraged and inspired me to play,? Elmore said. ?He played when he was younger, he just wanted me to try it and he has helped me play ever since.?

Elmore began getting involved with tennis outside school. She participated in a summer league for Copper River Country Club until this year, but continues to take private lessons.

?I did not play in summer league this year,? Elmore said. ?Now I mostly focused my time in private lessons and practice playing tennis with my dad.?

Freeman remains to have faith in Elmore out on the court, because of her playing technique.

?Erin plays tennis with the grace of a ballet dancer, the timing of a professional flautist, and the strategy of a world class chess player,? Freeman said. ?You mix that up with good work ethic a great taste in uniforms and the smiles which should once against yield a homecoming queen.?

The Eagles are 8-0 in league play and next travel to Cambria to take on Coast Union on Sept. 30 and Mission Prep in San Luis Obispo on Oct. 1. The WSL Championships will be at Clovis West High School on Oct. 22.

?I thought the tournament was well run and well organized,? Freeman said. ?It was a great opportunity to be challenged overall in all their abilities. I am planning on participating in this tournament next year.?

For more information regarding girls? tennis, contact Freeman at 299-1695, ext. 121 or e-mail him at [email protected].