Beach provides respite, camaraderie

The annual beach trip to Cayucos and Cambria provided students with a brief respite from daily schedules and the opportunity to relax and enjoy the football game against Coast Union on Sept. 23.

While the two teams battled for the lead, Coast Union defeated Fresno Christian, 41-7.

Since 1998 the school has been taking their students as a reward-day field trip to Cayucos for the day. For many the experience was unique and refreshing.

?I like this year because the majority of our students where enjoying themselves on the sand together as a school,? Jon Endicott, associate principal, said. ?Oh and the chowder bread bowls were really good!?

On the beach students played soccer, volleyball, and some even skim boarded. Even teachers Tom McEntee and Aaron Bryan also went a little crazy and went swimming and boggie-boarding along side their students.

“The beach is fun but you are not truly there until you go at least waist deep into the water,” McEntee said. “While it was chilly, Aaron and I could handle it. He and I have whale-like qualities to protect us from the cold water.”

While the beach offered swimming and sports, the football game provided not only the athletes with competition but also the fans.

?Our nuthouse decided to challenge the other teams red sea and the security guards had to stand in between the two high schools’ student body to make sure everything remained calm,? Kassy Batesole, ’06, said. ?They even started to try to trip us as we walked by but Endicott had to intervene and stand there and tell us to walk around.?

Although generally most people had a fun time, others felt they did not share the same experience as in the past.

?The bus ride was pretty fun except this girl who sat behind me kept singing the same Kelly Clarkson song over and over again,” Bonnie Hansen, ?07, said. “It was getting really annoying.?

However in an ironic twist, football and volleyball players were not allowed to participate in beach sport games. The coaches did not want them to tire or risk injury but most had a great time anyway.

?Getting a break from school and being on the beach with everyone just hanging out was a lot of fun for me,? Brian Weskamp, ?09, said. “It was a drag that we athletes did not get to play games though. But the coaches’ reasons were understandable.”

For more information on school events, read the announcements in this online newspaper.