FC boys soccer sport short: Senior Night

Eagles honored on final home game

[/media-credit] Wesley Hinton, ’20, defends an offenive attack from Caruthers HS, Feb. 7.

The Eagles played the Caruthers Blue Raiders at home for senior night, Feb. 7. This was the second meeting between the two teams. The first match-up, the Eagles were defeated, 1-0. This time Caruthers defeated FC, 3-1.

Seniors Jacob Bynum, Julian Castro, Nevan Gonzalez and Jarrod Markarian were honored before the game for their time on varsity soccer. Bynum and Markarian are both four year varsity members while Castro and Gonzales are three year varsity members.

After the last game between the two teams and the Eagles losing in the last minutes of the game, FC looked to take this game and hopefully win on senior night.

The field was muddy, rain was falling, and the players were ready for kickoff. Right from the start the game became fast paced and intense. Halfway into the first half, the Eagles received a free kick a few yards outside of the 18’ yard box. Bynum took the shot and beat the keeper to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead.

Seconds after scoring, Caruthers formed an attack. The Eagle defense was in confusion and the attack drew closer to FC’s goal. The Blue Raiders quickly scored and tied the game up at 1-1. This would be the score at the end of the first half.

As the second half began, the field grew more sloppy and players began to feel fatigued but both the Eagles and the Blue Raiders looked to overtake the other and win the game.

[/media-credit] Seniors Jacob Bynum and Jarrod Markarian embrace after making a defensive stop, Feb. 7.

This half was a burden for the Eagles as multiple players suffered injuries. Three FC players had to be subbed out and this is when Caruthers took their chance. They scored a goal soon after the quick injuries to take the lead, 2-1.

Only one goal down, the Eagles still had hope. However, the Blue Raider defense was strong and FC struggled to make many offensive opportunities. With the end of the game approaching, Caruthers was able to make one more goal and add to their lead.

The Eagles were unable to comeback from two goals down and were defeated, 3-1.

This loss against Caruthers puts the Eagles’ league record at 1-7. The Eagles will play their first playoff game against Orange Cove HS, Feb. 15.

Check out the last boys soccer sport short: FC boys soccer sport short: Muffin.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]