Band to march at Caruthers Fair

The sound of marching bands and smell of corndogs is in the air; fair season is upon us. The Caruthers Fair is the first trial for the Eagle marching band and their new drum major on Oct. 1.

?It?s difficult; I hit myself with the mace all the time,? Hannah Wilhelm, ?07, said. ?Most people don?t understand how hard it is. It takes hours of practice to get routines right.?

Wilhelm has taken over for graduated drum major, Melissa Jimenez, ?05. Wilhelm attended a summer camp at a Santa Cruz university to learn more on being a drum major.

?I have complete faith in her abilities,? Paul McEntee, band director, said, ?Hannah has really taken on the challenge of being a drum major and given it her best. I think the students also respect the work she has put into her job.?

Marching band is an activity that takes up more time than most students realize. The marching and music playing at school only scratches the surface. Students are required to memorize the entire march, perfect their marching and attend evening rehearsals in which the band coordinates music and marching.

All of this comes together at the Caruthers Fair, Sept. 28 through Oct. 1. The parade starts at 10 A.M., with the Fresno Christian stepping off in the second half of the program. The parade goes down Main Street and after the parade, the bands go to the fair to eat and wait for the awards ceremony.

?I like the fair,? Andrew Biehler, ?08, said. ?The carnival games and rides are fun, and the corndogs are really good. I think it?s better than the Big Fresno Fair, because it?s so much smaller.?

Campus bands have traditionally done well at the parade, defeating much larger schools. In 2004, the band captured second place and the color guard took first.

For more information on the fair or parade, go to www.caruthersfair.com or e-mail McEntee at [email protected].