Column: Journalism as a freshman

[/media-credit] At the ReNew conference, Braden went behind the scenes and interviewed Luis Palau.

Braden Bell absorbs skills for life

I have never really been very good at writing, but I knew joining The Feather would shape me to be a better writer. I also knew the skills I would learn on the team would be very beneficial further on down the road.

Last year my older sister, Kylie Bell, was the photo editor and I really enjoyed learning and hearing all about The Feather through her. Also, my aunt, Kori Friesen, is one of The Feather advisors and she advised me to be on the team, especially as a journalist because she wanted me to receive training from advisor Greg Stobbe.

When Kylie was on the team, she was a part of FC underground and I looked forward to watching her each week. Whenever I was with her she was always talking about her day in The Feather and how it went. Each story she had was very exciting and I wanted to be a part of that.

This is also my first year at FC. Previously, I went to Baird Middle School where I really enjoyed the community, education, and people. However, I feel more at home here at FC partly due to my role in journalism; it really feels like my own family.

Joining The Feather has forced me to be more outgoing. In order to successfully write an article, there needs to be quotes and possibly a podcast and the only way to get those is by communicating with people. Being in journalism has definitely made me more comfortable when talking to people I do not know well or maybe do not know even at all.

This year I am the only freshman on the team which has made my experience so far pretty interesting. I am also one of four in my second-period journalism class, which has resulted in many fun memories. There are not many staffers on the team but that just means we have to work a little harder. There are so few of us, so we have become a super close knit.

While on the team I have been given many amazing opportunities. Opportunities like speaking with people around the community and school as well as getting to know students around the campus. One of my favorite experiences while on The Feather has been going to the Save Mart Center and getting to hang out with Luis and Andrew Palau as well as Jesus Culture.

I have also made many memories while in the lab; some good and some not so good. One of those memories happened on the day Krispy Kreme reopened in Fresno, Dec. 6. I went on opening day and brought back a doughnut for my aunt, not thinking about Stobbe and his love for doughnuts.

Apparently, I told him that I didn’t bring back any when I actually did. Eventually, he found out and was mad at me for not getting him one. Later on, I got tired of him reminding me of the time I forgot to bring him one so I finally went and got him a doughnut, and he forgave me.

The Feather not only gives students these great opportunities and fun memories, but it will also prepare them for the future. I have seen this incredible preparation that The Feather does through the growth in my sister.

[/media-credit] In a class of four students during second-period journalism, Braden spends his time finishing articles.

Kylie learned her photography skills through The Feather and now has gone on to start her own photography business while majoring in mass communications and Journalism (MCJ): Advertising at Fresno State hoping to have a future in photography through marketing and advertising.

I think everyone should consider joining The Feather because it improves writing skills and gives many opportunities for growth and excitement. Even though it can be a lot of work and stressful at times, it is a lot of fun and is very beneficial.

For more top 5 articles read, Editors discuss need for community in journalism.

Braden Bell can be reached via email: Braden Bell, Instagram and Twitter.