Homecoming activities, float building in high gear

The energy and excitement of Homecoming week, Oct. 10-14, is already evident on campus. Talk of floats, kings dancing and a variety of lunches has created a buzz on campus as students anticipate Friday, Oct. 14, culminating in the Homecoming football game against Firebaugh.

“I?m excited about Homecoming,? Michael Prentice, ?08, said. ?I plan to participate and it should be a lot of fun.”

For the 23rd consecutive year, the campus student leadership group will head up the weeklong revelry.

During Homecoming week, each day during the week celebrates different events.

For Monday, the dress code will be modified to allow students to dress like rock stars as a preview for the evening’s battle of the bands competition.

World Cultural dress up day and an Iron Chef competition, which puts five queen nominees against five home economics students will highlight Tuesday.

Students will be allowed to dress up as cowboys in Wednesday’s ?western dress-up? day, in addition to a barbeque lunch and the princess pageant.

?I?m excited about being nominated for freshman princess,? Danielle Ricchiuti, ’08, said. ?I think Homecoming is going to be a lot of fun.?

Another dress-up day is based on a ?fairytale? theme for Thursday’s queen pageant. There will also be a KFC lunch.

The King Pageant is planned for Friday and students will be allowed to dress up as famous duos. The kings will also perform their annual dance on stage during a special assembly.

?I?m glad to be nominated for king,? Brandon Cain, ?06, said. ?The other nominees are good guys, a great group of people.?

In addition to homecoming festivities, the week also encourages class participation.

“Homecoming week is great for students because it helps them come together as a class,? Josh Tosland, student leadership adviser, said. “It helps the students build relationships with people they thought they never would build relationships with.?

Members of the leadership group also feel that homecoming week brings students closer, aside from just being fun.

?Homecoming only comes around four times in high school,? Sean O?Neil, ?08, said. ?You shouldn?t put any of them to waste. Homecoming?s a lot of fun.?

Yet some still do not plan to participate in homecoming events.

?It just doesn?t seem very fun to me,? Josh Coccia, ?08, said. ?It looks like a lot of work and I?m just not interested.?

Each class is building a float to represent classic movies.

?Building a class float gives students a chance to hang out with people that they usually don?t hang out with during the weekend,? Kim Bimat, ?06, said. ?It?s a way to meet new people.?

Each class will meet at a designated peer?s house to build the float.

Freshmen can contact Jessica Mesple (559) 298-3634. Times for float building are Oct 6, starting at 9 A.M, Oct 7, from 9 A.M to 4 P.M, and Oct 8 from 9 A.M to 2:30 P.M. at the Mesple?s house.

Sophomores can contact Coleton Hutchins at (559) 298-1779. Float building is on Oct 7 from 9 A.M to 5 P.M, Oct 8 from 1 P.M to 5 P.M, and Oct 9 from 1 P.M to 5 P.M. at the Hutchins? house.

Seniors can contact Tara Albrechtson at (559) 240-6386, and float-building times are Oct 6, Oct 7, and Oct 8, each day starting at 9 A.M. at the Albrechtson?s house.

Student leadership could not provide dates and times for the junior class? float meetings.

For more information on Homecoming, look for other articles in the online Feather, or read The Feather?s announcements.