Talent Show discussed at first WSL meeting

The WSL (West Sierra League) is a group of schools, including Fresno Christian, who meet once a month with the intent on planning inter-school events.

?We discuss league events,? student body president Tara Albrechtson, ?06, said. ?We plan events like the talent show and the can food drive.?

Member WSL schools Caruthers, Liberty, Firebaugh, Mendota, Riverdale and Orange Cove are all part of the WSL planning meetings. Members are made up of the students from the individual leadership classes.

The schools take turns hosting the gatherings. These meetings give students the chance to socialize and share ideas from different perspectives. The first meeting was at Caruthers High on Sept. 24.

?We always host the last meeting of the year,? Albrechtson said, ?We take all the leadership members from each school and take them to John?s Incredible Pizza.?

At meetings, all members are given lunch, and games are played to break the ice.

?At our meetings we can be creative with other schools,? Josh Tosland, student leadership adviser, said, ?we coordinate together to find out what other activities they do on their campus.?

The schools compete with each other in athletics, but a general respect and team building is shown when the school?s leadership meet together for a meeting.

?We have the president, secretary, and other officers talk to each other,? Bethany Morton, ?06, said, ?It gives us a chance to share different ideas and struggles. Our school is the only private one, and we are seen as being a bit weird for not having dances.?

This month?s meeting was held at Caruthers High and the rules for the WSL Talent Show were decided. ?Woodstock? was chosen as the theme for this year?s show. This is the first time a theme has been incorporated into the annual event.

One of the WSL biggest events is the talent show where two entries from each school travel to member campuses to perform for the chance to win a cash prize. Last year Fresno Christian German exchange student Christof Schnur won the WSL Talent Show by playing his accordion.

The next WSL meeting will be at Fowler on Nov. 28.

For more information on the WSL and its activities, contact student leadership adviser, Ericlee Gilmore, at [email protected].