Filmmaker produces perspective

The video productions class on campus has been creating films for the benefit of its students since its origination in 1998. Sadly, the promising exertions of young filmmaking crews whose films are viewed only in a brief chapel appearance are then filed away in the abyss of the archives.

However, the new school year brings with it a promising idea for the present video productions students and for those in the years to come. Viewers from across the world will now be able to visit the campus website and, from its videos link, watch any of the many films chosen by Chris Schultz, video production teacher.

?[Greg] Stobbe [publications adviser] is always looking for quality and variety on his newspaper website,” Schultz said. “It is always my aim to have our students accomplishments on display.?

Two videos have already been chosen to receive publication. After their premier during a Tuesday chapel these two have been scheduled for placement online in the weeks ahead. This achievement marks the first communal platform for student works in the school?s history.

?It will be nice to have feedback from people other than just high schoolers and to have what we?ve labored for more widely appreciated,” Kaley Hearnsberger, ’06, said. ?We have to work on these projects for a minimum of two weeks, so a sense of personal satisfaction is essential.?

Hearnsberger became involved in filmmaking early last year and was immediately captivated by its many opportunities for creative expression. From that point forward, her entire year, as well as the following summer, was spent entrenched in video production.

?Kaley has a working knowledge of the software we use and a wonderful ability to think visually,? Schultz said. ?She works hard and is reliable, but most of all she enjoys the process.?

For over four years Hearnsberger has been creating videos. She began making shorts for her church youth group and for the last two years has been doing so for video productions class.

?One of my most memorable projects was on John of the lunch truck, entitled ‘The Man Behind The Truck,’? Hearnsberger said. ?I love telling stories, and in my mind, there is no better way to demonstrate my own perspective than through the visual portrayals and character intimacy found in movies.?

Students and adults alike often do not know the personalities of their peers, teachers and those around them. In view of this, Hearnsberger set out to expose the myth of John, the lunch truck man.

“Getting to know John Smith was great,” Hearnsberger said. “We see him every day and yet most of us don’t know anything about him. He has such an interesting story. I found out that he actually used to be an engineer but wanted to get out of the office. He’s a great guy who has such a passion for students and serving us lunch.”

Hearnsberger has already created a video documenting the journalism trip to New York City in March 2005, a homecoming ad and edited a video promoting the senior queens. As an outside school project, she is currently working on a documentary concerning the making of the senior float.

Look for video productions shorts online in this online newspaper or at www.fresnochristian.com in the weeks to come.