30th annual Kids Day promotes local children’s hospital

[/media-credit] Volunteers all over the City of Fresno sell newspapers to support Valley Children’s Hospital, March. 7.

Community sells papers to support Valley Children’s Hospital

Over 7,000 volunteers filled the sidewalks for the 30th annual Kids Day, March 7. Arriving at their street corners as early as 5 a.m., thousands of people across Fresno supported Valley Children’s Hospital

As they do every year, FC students claimed the corners of Alluvial/Maple and Alluvial/Cedar. Both leadership students and Feather staff members met between 4-5 a.m. to help support Kids Day. Leadership and journalism students were required to be at those corners for their classes. FC students outside of those classes were also allowed to participate in selling newspapers as well.

ASB Vice President Trevor Trevino, ’17, enjoys Kids Day every year. He likes the excitement that everyone has around the day. Trevino appreciates the way that the community brings awareness to the hospital.

“I participate in Kids Day because I love serving,” Trevino said. “I love supporting causes that will help better this world. My favorite part about Kids Day is running out into the street, selling the newspaper to the person and telling them thank you afterward. Kids Day is super important because it raises awareness for sick kids who need financial support for their medical care.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/311418829″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Last year FC sold a total of 950 papers and made $1,873 for the hospital. After hours of working, FC sold over 1100 newspapers and collected $2057.37 this year. Leadership advisor Robert Foshee loves getting FC students excited for Kids Day. His daughter Summer Foshee, had heart surgery at Valley Children’s when she was five years old and appreciates the hospital’s efforts.

“I think Kids Day is an easy way to partner with Valley Children’s,” Foshee said. “A lot of our FC families have connections to the hospital. Whether they personally have been treated there or have kids or friends that have been there, most everyone has some sort of experience with the hospital. Hanging out with everyone, selling newspapers and having a lot of energy are my favorite parts of the morning.”

Logan Lewis, ’20, enjoyed having the opportunity to help the community. He even danced while selling papers to help get people’s attention. 

“I loved it so much,” Lewis said. “Kids Day is important cause it gives us a chance to serve in our community and it’s for a very good cause. My favorite part was seeing all the smiles on people’s faces when we danced for them.”

On the corner of Blackstone and Shaw, community leaders from all over the city met to sell papers. Such leaders included Fresno Bee editor Bill McEwen, Fresno County clerk, Brandi Orth, B95 host, Carmen (last name withheld) and the parent of the 2017 Kids Day ambassador, Jennifer Verkaik. 

Kids Day is hosted by Valley Children’s Hospital and sponsored by the Fresno Bee. The Manager of Annual Development at Valley Children’s Molly Marquez, is one of the main orchestrators of the city-wide event. She is grateful for the continual growth and support of Kids Day each year.

“I work in the foundation at Valley Children’s,” Marquez said. “I am the manager of annual development. Our office is in charge of the fundraising efforts for the hospital. Kids Day is one of our projects that we work on and celebrate. This year is the 30th anniversary. It is very humbling to see so many people support the hospital. It is really exciting to see the community come together and support a common cause. We think that being able to serve our patients and make sure they have the best care possible is a very important mission in the Valley.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/311392338″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Every year a new Kids Day ambassador is chosen. The ambassador is always a child who has recently been treated at Valley Children’s Hospital. This year’s ambassador, Madison Verkaik was not even one year old when she had surgery. Her mother Jennifer Verkaik appreciates the doctors who help save children’s lives and says that it is important to give back to the community. 

“Madison had open heart surgery at 11 months,” Jennifer Verkaik. “They fixed her heart and she was home within five days. They essentially saved her life. Since Madison and Mackenzie are twins they let me bring Mackenzie in when we would go sit with her. They made it feel like home and took care of us very well. They were very loving. I want my kids to understand that there are other people like them and sometimes even sicker than Madison. I want them to see that there are amazing people out there that are willing to help. I also want them to see that we need to do our part too and help out.” 

[/media-credit] Feather staffers, Nick LeBlanc, ’17, and Phillip Christopher, ’17, traveled to the corner of Shaw and Blackstone where they met the 2017 Kids Day ambassador, Madison Verkaik.

People from across the county came to support Valley Children’s. Carmen (last name withheld), from CK and Carmen in the morning on B95, comes out every year to help the children. She was impressed with how many people put aside their personal issues to support the kids.

“I think Kids Day is awesome,” Carmen said. “We come out every year and we just wanted to show our support. I think it’s very important that the community comes together. It’s amazing how Valley Children’s shows so much grace when they take care of the kids especially with so much on their plate.”

Fresno County Clerk Brandi Orth was also selling newspapers out on Blackstone and Shaw. She participates every year to motivate people. 

“I come out every year cause it’s fun to come out in the morning,” Orth said. “I get cheery and watch people donate their money. I appreciate the hospital staff who help all those kids. It’s such a nurturing environment and it changes lives.”

The goal heading into the day was to raise $625,000, which was the largest goal in the 30-year history. According to the Fresno Bee, as of 5:15 p.m., March 7, the fundraising campaign had collected $310,000. Check back to this article at the end of the week for the total amount raised.

Please share your KidsDay2017 experiences in the comments below. The Feather staff would love to post your stories.

To read another article check out: CSPA commends, offers advice to Feather staff.

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @_NickLeBlanc and @Phillip11499 or via email: Nick LeBlanc and Phillip Christopher.