Seniors take SCCCD test

[/media-credit] Seniors attending a community college will be taking a placement test for next year’s class, March. 10.

Students plan for future, meet with counselors

With the school year slowly coming to an end, seniors who are attending community college in the State Center Community College District (SCCCD) will be required to take a placement test. The test will be held in the lab in building six, March 10.

This part of the test will just be the English portion and they will use that score to determine which English class they should be placed in for the upcoming fall 2017.

Right after the students have taken the test, they will meet right away with counselors from Clovis Community College Center to assist students in the next step. During this time they will advise students on which courses to register for in April.

SCCCD was formed in 1964 when it owned Fresno City College and Reedley College. They serve approximately one million people and 18 unified and high school district. SCCCD is governed by a seven-member board of trustees who represent seven trustee areas. SCCCD is a merit system district with over 2,300 faculty and staff represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA) and the American Federation of Teachers (AFT).

Their mission statement is to help students to provide opportunities and safety as well as success.

State Center Community College District is committed to empowering our colleges in their efforts to promote exemplary educational opportunities and to provide safe, inclusive, and supportive learning environments leading to student success and global competitiveness which will transform our region.”

[/media-credit] This test will gauge what classes students should be taking next year.

This test should be taken seriously suggested by academic advisor Michelle Warkentin.

“It is important for students to take this test seriously because if they do not score high enough they will have to take a remedial English class,” Warkentin said. “Remedial class is required for some students before they can get into the regular college level English class.”

With the rise of students going to community colleges, the Clovis Community College counselors decided to visit the FC campus.

“In recent years CCC counselors have visited the Fresno Christian campus to offer this test and advising session,” Warkentin continue. “However several years ago we had to go to the Clovis Community location to take the test. We are grateful that they now come to us to offer these services, especially since the number of community college applicants coming from Fresno Christian has grown significantly.”

The test will be held in the JJ room March 10, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. If you have any questions about colleges, visits Warkentin in the upstairs office in building six.

For more features read, COLUMN: Serve through selfless acts.