COLUMN: ‘No excuse’ commitment fosters success

[/media-credit] Sophia Kalugin, ’19, discusses what type of commitment it takes to be successful in any situation.

Jobs, school, and activities arouse multiple emotions. Often occupations start out with excitement and curiosity, but as we continue in our jobs or schoolwork, we often arrive at a blockade and stress out.

Stress frequently occupies our thoughts and distracts us from the joy that can be found in work. All the negativities divert our attention away from what we should be doing.

Rough patches are unavoidable. Every job will have a season of deadlines and due dates to accomplish. Stress appears in every situation that involves a consistent effort.

As the semester advances, students may feel they are given double the amount of work. This is a stressful time for high schoolers. The amount of work will seem difficult to overcome but with persistence, it will slowly fade.

When one starts a new assignment, at first excitement and curiosity influences perspective, yet deadlines and due dates are unavoidable.

School and work are not the only places stress appears. Many forms of commitment include times of stress and difficult work, such as sports or extracurricular activities.

Whether it’s staying after practice to work on harder skills and condition or doing research on a project for an assignment at school, success depends on the effort put in from the beginning.

For instance, my junior high soccer team was preparing for the championship game a couple years ago. Our coach worked individually with us on skills that needed improvement. The team worked hard at practice but once we got home, the effort stopped. When the game finally arrived, we did not play our best which led to losing the game that mattered the most. If the team had continued to practice at home in their free time, winning may have been an option.

Success requires setting a goal and being determined and put in the effort it requires, even in the midst of a rough patch. After losing the championship game, I realized even if it’s difficult and tiring hard work pays off. No obstacle or excuse is too big to overcome if you persist, commit, and are passionate. Don’t accept anything less.

Sophia Kalugin writes an occasional column. Read her last article, “Column: Recognizing ways to give back during Christmas season.”

For another Feather opinion, read “Editorial: Students struggle to push through, find motivation.